Mandala

Mandala loosely translated means the “essence” or “circle” and is an Indian Sanskrit word. It conveys the idea of wholeness and our connection with the cosmos.  It is related to Buddhism and meditation.

In common use, mandala has become a generic term for any plan, chart or geometric pattern that represents the cosmos metaphysically or symbolically, a microcosm of the Universe from the human perspective.[From WikiPedia]

Describing both material and non-material realities, the mandala appears in all aspects of life: the celestial circles we call earth, sun, and moon, as well as conceptual circles of friends, family, and community.[from MandalaProject.org]

It is said by Tibetan Buddhists that a mandala consists of five “excellencies”:

• The teacher
  • The Message
  • The audience
  • The site
  • The time

An audience or “viewer” is necessary to create a mandala. Where there is no you, there is no mandala.(from: You Are the Eyes of the World, by Longchenpa, translated by Lipman and Peterson).[from MandalaProject.org]

My mother was the one who told me about them maybe a year ago, she thought I might enjoy making them and coloring them, she has always thought of Art as a good way to relax and pass time.  I had seen a documentary on a sand mandala being constructed for peace by the UN and children but I didn’t quite recall it when she told me about them.  A couple of days ago I came across the Essence of rabbit and thought it was the cutest mandala I had ever seen, made by rabbit characters from many sources.

Bunny Mandala
Bunny Mandala

More on Mandals:

• At 2008.10.29 23:41, Solace said:

The bunny mandala is quite cute. I have seen some really beautiful mandalas.

• At 2008.10.30 11:07, inas said:

i love mandalas i wich to start drawing and colouring them

• At 2008.10.30 12:49, Deee said:

I hadn’t heard of them before.. they are so cool! thanks for the share jessy’z :)

• At 2008.10.30 15:13, mona said:

That’s really cool, I’ll be showing my kids the mandala maker.

• At 2008.10.30 16:55, Verbal Alchemy said:

beautiful! i love everything indian to be honest, i love their culture, their mythology, their food! num! and i love sanskrit calligraphy. but enuf of me 😀 would be nice to have time to do such stuff. if u did any, wud u be kind enuf to share? 😀

• At 2008.10.30 23:16, jessyz said:

@Solace: I thought it was so cute, I want a the huge print up in my daughter’s room.
              @inas: yalla beena, lets do one together.
              @Dee: ana ba7eb dayman adeef 😉
              @mona: if they color any, I’d love to see, kids can be super creative, who knows maybe you have a little Picasso in the making
              @Verbal Alchemy: me too I love curry, saris, the taj mahal and henna too. I find their culture fascinating, I would so love to visit India. I promise if I do one I’ll post and brag too 😀

• At 2008.10.31 00:55, Verbal Alchemy said:

u wud love india, i went to goa and madras, goa was absolutely amazing! and ppl there r so nice and down to earth, unlike the ones i see here in dubai unfortunately.. oh please do post! and brag 😀

• At 2008.11.02 10:48, jessyz said:

@Verbal Alchemy: Indians here are no fun too, I’ve met Indians in Canada or those that live in the US and they were much nicer, I think it’s because they are more educated and more refined. You can count on the bragging 😉