Grammar, punctuation and spelling in blogs

It totally annoys me that many bloggers disregard the basic rules of grammar, punctuation and spelling.  Spelling mistakes annoy me the most because using spell check is a 2 minute thing that makes posts look cleaner and easier to read.  Yes it is so easy to make mistakes, it’s also very easy to type a post and “Publish it ” without thinking twice.  Just a quick read will make sure you catch the little errors that when left in make it look like you don’t care much about your blog. The tricky part is realizing that you wrote “proposes” instead of “purposes” and your post makes no sense now.   If you think in Arabic please write in Arabic, some posts really only make sense in Arabic but if you are going to do a literal translation of an Arabic phrase that means gibberish in English like “don’t cut my bread I run on children”, please refrain.

5 Common Mistakes that make you dumb
5 Writing Tips for Better Blogging
How to Write a Better Weblog

• At 2008.12.27 14:06, reader said:

You know what annoys me more? The fact that you would blog about it and not get the capitalization right in the title!!!

• At 2008.12.27 14:32, Shimaa Gamal said:

You know, I actually do my best to spell check my posts. I actually write on Ms Word so my job isn’t really that hard yet I still have mis-spelled words that my eye don’t catch regardless how many time I proof read my posts.
      But yet, I always make sure to fix the errors whenever discovered.

I agree, it is really annoying. It isn’t only about being annoying but also it really affects the meaning.

• At 2008.12.27 14:53, jessyz said:

@reader: Oops! Very embarrassing. Thanx for the tip, I fixed it.
        @Shimaa Gamal: I always think it’s a waste when a post is really interesting but the writing makes it really difficult to follow.

• At 2008.12.27 15:14, jessyz said:

@reader: in my defense it is correct to capitalize all nouns in a title. Reference Link
          1. Always capitalize the first and the last word.
          2. Capitalize all nouns, pronouns, adjectives, verbs, adverbs, and subordinate conjunctions (“as”, “because”, “although”).
          3. Lowercase all articles, coordinate conjunctions (“and”, “or”, “nor”), and prepositions regardless of length, when they are other than the first or last word. (Note: NIVA prefers to capitalize prepositions of five characters or more (“after”, “among”, “between”).)
          4. Lowercase the “to” in an infinitive.

• At 2008.12.27 16:20, askandarani said:

:-(( blush

• At 2008.12.27 21:35, Qwaider said:

You remind me of an effort I tried to promote a while ago only to be surprised of the number of people who felt offended by it. Then I decided to just abandon it. Check it out ..

• At 2008.12.27 21:48, jessyz said:

@askandarani: no blushing needed, we all make mistakes.
                @Qwaider: I am always surprised why people get offended by these things, they can always walk away. It’s not just blogging related, I used to have to double check work related documents before sending them out to clients because Software Engineers did not know how to write proper English.

• At 2008.12.27 21:53, reader said:

I know it’s correct to capitalize all nouns in a title, and I was actually referring to the fact that you hadn’t capitalized the word “blogs” like you did the others. The title was “Grammar, Punctuation and Spelling in blogs.”

Best regards.

• At 2008.12.27 22:01, jessyz said:

@reader: I spaced out on that, sorry.

• At 2008.12.28 09:24, mona said:

Oh you cracked me up with the transliteration thing! I love that Firefox automatically spell checks for me.

• At 2008.12.28 11:02, jessyz said:

@mona: yeah I always mistype stuff.

• At 2008.12.28 18:01, gjoez said:

LOOOL! I am guilty guilty guilty!

I notice spelling/grammar mistakes bas not my own.. 😀

fakra i had a post regarding this issue fel blog el adeem (allah yer7amoh ba2a)

• At 2008.12.29 00:25, only love said:

ya nahar abyad, I have to admit that sometimes I have mistakes when I’m writing :$
                            but my last post I wrote it in the word application like what shi do walahy 3shan a7awel alm el mawdo3 😀 rbna yestor w yekon sa7 :)

• At 2008.12.29 01:58, jessyz said:

@gjoez: allah yer7am fe3lan.
                              @only love: heheh you should see what I write before I clean it up.