How deep do you go into your search results

Google Pages

Google Pages

Have you ever searched for something and got 17 hundred million links as a result? How far deep do you go? I usually take a look at the first 2 or 3 pages maximum. Over time I have realized that if what I am looking for is not on the first page then I need to use a different search term.  I wonder why they don’t just decide on a cut off page and return only 50 or a 100 results and that’s it.  The problem is that it would take forever to go though all of them and after a certain point it becomes obvious that what you are looking for is not there anyways.  What do you think?

Search Summary

Search Summary

• At 2008.12.01 20:45, Qwaider قويدر said:

You know, it depends on what you’re looking for and how much time you’re going to dedicate to your search. I’ve done some searches where I had to go 67 pages deep to get what I want.
    Sometimes I have “good googling days” and others I’m not as lucky .. oh well :)

• At 2008.12.01 21:17, za3tar said:

I usually just look at the first page, and infrequently on the top 2 or 3 pages. As you said, if i couldn’t find what i am looking for on the first page, i will use a different search query.

I thought about the cut off as well. However, i think they still show you all the search results for psychological factors. I mean, if you did a search and only gotten 10 results or so, you will probably think the search engine is terrible .. however, if it showed you 300 million results, you will probably feel more comfortable in the engine itself even though you won’t use more than the first few pages.

I think they realize that as well … i think they keep the first few pages cached for fast retrieval, while the deeper pages are put on the back-burner and low priority retrieval.

• At 2008.12.01 23:46, whisper said:

usually I’ll reach page 3 and after that I’ll try page 8 it’s my lucky number…stupid i know but i have to do it 😀

and if i couldn’t find what I’m searching for I’ll try to write some thing more pacific

• At 2008.12.01 23:53, jessyz said:

@Qwaider: You are very dedicated, if I can’t find it on page 5 then I know I need better search terms.
          @za3tar: Yeah I guess so too, but I checked out cuil and it usually comes up with more search results but they are usually irrelevant even on the first page.
          @whisper: heheh I love number 8 too. I sometimes do try a random page but not usually.

• At 2008.12.02 00:49, mona said:

I think you’re right, it’s all about your parameters. I only check 2 3 pages deep max, maybe more for images.

• At 2008.12.02 13:43, Solace said:

I go up to 5 pages.

• At 2008.12.02 16:07, RJay said:

If I REALLY REALLY want something and changing the search terms keep coming up with the same results i’ll just keep going

i don’t mean to brag but i can go up to 300 :-)

• At 2008.12.03 16:28, Juka said:

I’m with you, if it’s not on the first 5 pages, chances are it’s not there at all. I try a different search.

Some engines used to offer a “search within results” feature which I thought was nifty!

• At 2008.12.07 00:55, Sabeur said: