Sick Baby, Sad Mother

No one told me when I signed on for  got tricked into this Momy thing that it was going to be this hard.  Yesterday instead of a happy cheerful baby Lulu, she was upset and distraught.  She usually greets me with a morning smile and we go about our morning rituals of momy dancing and singing and then diaper changing and feeding.  It’s probably the nicest time of the day because she’s fresh but not too energetic and we just start the day with a giggle.  She started crying uncontrollably for maybe 30 minutes and I tried everything to soothe her and then she threw up all over me, the bed and the bedroom floor.  After another 30 minutes she calmed down and fell asleep.  She woke up later and threw up again so we went to the doctor.  The doctor treated me like the next Crazy Moma and told me it was a stomach cold and sent us home with some paracetamol and stuff.  She took her meds and settled down a bit, but still spent the rest of the day looking tired, sleeping a lot and rarely smiling.  She woke up better today (al 7amdullah) but still not her usual cheery self.  She usually crawls around all day and follows me from room to room while I make the bed and straighten the place out.  She chews on the table, claps and mumbles some Japaneese language I am unaware of, so when she just sits and stares into space it breaks my heart in two.  She doesn’t even want to play in my handbag and spill the contents on the floor like everyday and doesn’t crawl into the bathroom to try and grab the toiletpaper.

I was thinking about my own mother, how I must have gotten sick hundreds of times when I was little and how she must have stayed up all night making sure I was alright.  I can’t remember any of those times and I can’t even recall what she did when we were sick, but now I am grateful for it.  You really can’t appreciate your parents fully until you have kids of your own.  I was sick last week and I am a country and a continent away but she still called me several times during the day to check on me, so I know the Momying never really stops.

A friend of mine sent me this video today and I thought it totally made a great ending for this post.

• At 2009.01.26 14:37, whisper said:

salamet 2albha
    and inshllah she will get better soon and return to her cute sweet actions

I don’t know put i think paracetamol is too much for her…how old is she?
    salamet-ha 7abebte

• At 2009.01.26 14:50, mona said:

Aw, my kids also used to speak in that strange dialect. I love that vid.

• At 2009.01.26 16:02, jessyz said:

@whisper: ya rab amen, she’s 11 months and it’s paracetamol drops for babies, it’s mild and the only thing she can take ta2reeban for the fever, I also kept washing her face and hands and feet till the fever came down. I don’t like taking medicine or giving it to her without a reason bas she was so miserable yesterday.
        @mona: yeah I thought it was so funny, kinda like what my mom used to say all day.

• At 2009.01.26 19:08, Juka said:

I hope she feels better very soon. Yeah I guess once a mommy forever a mommy, I’m 25 and when I’m abroad and sick all I can think about is how I need my Mommy :)

• At 2009.01.26 20:21, 7aki Fadi said:

Salamitha. I hope she gets better soon .

• At 2009.01.26 23:08, R. T said:

nice post as usual jessyz

• At 2009.01.27 07:53, marwa said:

yeeey salamtha alf salameh 3leeha ..
                nshalla she is better now ?? i know the feeling , whenever u look at any sick baby’s eyes u feel heart broken ,,,
                and 4 playing in yr stuff don’t worry its her main job :)

• At 2009.01.27 09:24, jessyz said:

@Juka: I miss my mommy even when I am not sick :-(.
                  @7aki: Allah yesalemek.
                  @R.T.: Thanx, are we expecting an RT junior?
                  @marwa: hehehehe actually I encourage the exploration process as long as it’s not dangerous to play with, she can play with it.

• At 2009.02.08 13:01, Deee said:

Alf salama 3ala LuLu! And you’re right, the mommying never ever ends! Last time I got sick, I left work early and so did my mom,just to make sure I was alright and I’m at least 20 years older than LuLu!! She’ll be just fine, isA! You’re a good mommy Jessyz! :)

• At 2009.02.09 08:56, jessyz said:

Thanx Deee, she got better el 7amdulla. I never thought I’d say this but I prefer her to be naughty and excited than sick and tired any day.