Omar Taher’s Gar Na3em

Gar Na3em Book Cover

Gar Na3em Book Cover

I read Omar Taher’s new book Gar Na3em.  Omar is an Egyptian journalist, author, poet and screenwriter.  I had previously read Shaklaha Keda Bazet and loved his sarcastic, realistic yet very funny style.  This book was totally different though, it was like he was writing notes, short stories, poems and a little bit of everything for his own private enjoyment.  It is a fun journey into someone else’s world.

The book cover was simple but very creative.  Pixel art, Amal and Omar from Egyptian school textbooks, the author’s picture and a cat illustrated by Salah Jahin.  If you think about it, the cover is a lot like the book, a little bit of everything all converging to the central character, the author himself.

One of my favorite stories was how he describes how different he was afraid of his father and mother in two very different ways.  It is a very touching and personal story which was very touching.

Finally the book closes with a chapter filled with 100 possible facebook status updates in Arabic.  Some of them are translated well known statements and proverbs but others which he wrote are interesting and thought provoking.

الحياة طريق و الناس حوادث

• At 2009.04.13 10:24, inas said:

i like ur book review it allways invite me to read the book

• At 2009.04.14 17:33, jessyz said:

Thank you, it was an interesting book.

• At 2009.04.13 12:38, Shimaa Gamal said:

I loved gar na3em, I like Omar Taher’s style a lot. I read all his books except “captin Masr” :)
        Before buying gar na3em, I read what he wrote on the back cover and it was my reason to buy the book :) It was hilarious. Yet, I don’t really like his poetry. Maybe because I am not a fan of this poetry in general. I don’t like el abyat el maksoora, if it has to be maksora then maybe its better not to be a poem in the 1st place.

• At 2009.04.14 17:35, jessyz said:

I didn’t think of the poetry as poetry but more as thoughts laid out in a non paragraph format.
          I loved Shaklaha keda Bazet, but this book felt more mature and had more of Omar Taher in it. I think I read someplace that he was very open in it and did not censor himself much, which shows in many of the chapters.

• At 2009.07.13 05:01, 2la2 said:

All of your masterworks from kabten msr,shklha bazet,2ahwa wchocolata,2bn 3bd el 7amid 2l tarzy to gar na3em are so wonderful

• At 2009.08.07 23:02, Nathalie Atalla said:

Omar is simply hilarious. I was unable to put the books down. I would read in the car on the way to the north coast, on my way to work, in bed, at the playground with my kids and even during lunch break.

Since I am a great believer in laughter being the best remedy to all your troubles, I feel

• At 2009.08.11 16:54, jessyz said:

Yes, that’s what I love about the books, funny, light and entertaining. Laughter truly is the best medicine.

• At 2009.08.07 23:02, Nathalie Atalla said:

his books had a very positive impact on many :)

• At 2009.08.10 01:45, mariam said:

it’s a good thing to know that here in our country there are talent writers like omar taher really i adore all his writes i read captine masr it was wondurful w shaklha bazt w gar na3am w abn abdelhamid altarzy w still reading rasf masr in aldostor really i wanna to be like him as the people said that i am talent in writing and espsially in poems like ahmed fo2d nagam sure not like him but just we are similiar in the style

• At 2009.08.11 16:57, jessyz said:

Then keep writing, the world can never have enough talented creatives.

• At 2009.10.08 23:03, nada ali said:

all omar taher’s books r amazin’ really his was the 1st person who let me enjoy readin’ after i hatted somthin’ called readig…….
                        um really thankful for u omar..

• At 2009.10.10 21:22, jessyz said:

I can’t imagine anyone hating reading, but it is wonderful that you enjoy it now.

• At 2009.10.13 23:50, m!ro said:

bgd ana ba7eb a2ra ay 7aga byktbha omar hwa dmo 5afef awy wbid7akny kteer.
                            b7b ashtry eldstor 3shan a2ra montaha els3ada,rasf masr w ay 7aga byktbha.
                            omar go ahead 😉

• At 2009.10.15 08:46, jessyz said:

He really does make me laugh too.