Friday’s Five: Things I Learned From My Husband

Last week when I posted about the five things I learned from my sister I decided to share what I learned from my husband this week. He’s one cool dude when he wants to be, but these days he’s over stretched at work. Anyways, here are the five things I’ve learned from him in the past years.

Planning

He is a professional planner, he does it for a living so let me say that when this guy plans something he is good at it.  He is very detail oriented and takes almost everything into account.  He comes home with detailed excel sheets for monthly, yearly and 10 year budgets for our family.

Take your time

This drives me crazy sometimes but I have to say that it is also a great thing.  He takes his time doing the things he enjoys.  Try it sometime, take a shower but instead of running in and out in under 10 minutes (I can take a shower, wash my hair and condition it in under 7 minutes) enjoy it, take all the time you need, all the time you want and really experience it to the fullest.

Surprise

Every once in a while he’ll do something completely out of character.  He’ll buy me flowers or something that I mentioned that I wanted.  I am touched, surprised and very happy every time.

Sharing and generosity

He will divide a chocolate bar in two always giving me the bigger half.  He always makes sure I have more than enough of whatever I need and he always does it selflessly.  If there’s only enough coffee for one of us, he’ll skip his morning coffee so that I can have mine.

Ambition

He has ambition, drive and big dreams.  I have always been ambitious but next to his, my ambitions are teeny tiny.

To be very honest there is one thing that I’ve learned but not directly from him.  It is patience and understanding because in a marriage, two very different people suddenly find themselves together building a life.  You need patience and understanding to be able to face life as a team together.  But then I guess, we’ve both learned this one together.

• At 2009.05.15 12:36, Anonymous said:

Mom Blogs – Blogs for Moms…

• At 2009.05.15 19:26, asoom said:

As someone whose about to embark on a lifetime committment I like reading relatiobship posts from people that have been married for a few years+. I’d be interested to know how some of those qualities evolved with time, maybe that could be a future post.

• At 2009.05.16 07:16, jessyz said:

I guess I could do that, we learned the hard way how to work with each other for the relationship to work. It is a fun continuous process.

• At 2009.05.15 22:23, Karmi said:

He sounds like a great guy! I like that bit with the coffee.

• At 2009.05.16 07:15, jessyz said:

He is wonderful most of the time, 😉

• At 2009.05.15 23:23, Juka said:

Awwwww. Rabbena yekhaleekom le ba3d!

• At 2009.05.16 07:15, jessyz said:

Hehehe that doesn’t mean he doesn’t annoy me sometimes.

• At 2009.05.16 00:58, A said:

I wonder what’s ur husband’s sign?? Taurus?? 😀

• At 2009.05.16 06:52, jessyz said:

He’s a Leo

• At 2009.05.18 17:16, sabrina said:

Sounds like you have a great guy, mashallah:) But what’s even better is that he has a wife who appreciates his special qualities. I hope he reads your blog:)

• At 2009.05.21 13:14, jessyz said:

He does occasionally, I try and remember to tell him every once in a while too that he’s appreciated.

• At 2009.05.21 14:16, Mohamed Abuol Enein said:

Honey , I’ve been really touched while reading your post. I find it very difficult to describe my feelings, I think I’m less than that a lot.
                          what I’m doing is the simplest way to say that I LOVE YOU
                          (When a lover is fortunate enough to meet his other half, they are both so intoxicated with affection, with friendship, and with love, that they cannot bear to let each other out of sight for a single instant).

1)There is only one happiness in life: to love and be loved.

2)It is love which keeps us alive, since it alone makes life loveable. It is love which saves; it is therefore love which must be saved.

3)Only the soul that loves is happy.

4)You might say that love is friendship gone mad.

5)In Tibet They say that many illnesses can be cured by the one medicine of love and compassion.

6)The need for love lies at the very foundation of human existence. It results from the profound interdependence we all share with one another.

For not with me was my heart, but with you. But now, more than ever, if it be not with you, it is nowhere. For without you it cannot anywhere exist

• At 2009.12.13 06:22, sameha said:

Rabena yes3edkom Ya Rabbb…try to put soret el baqara at home..its lke magic :) btw my husband is also a leo 😉 when is his birzday ?