The New Crayons

large_crayola-crayonsOne of my happiest and most vivid childhood memories was the annual back to school shopping trip.  Browsing the aisles for the perfect pencil case, pencils and notebooks was just my sort of heaven when I was a child (it still is actually, I am always on cloud 9 just by looking at the rows of pens at any store).  My mom would melt the old broken down small bits and make rainbow crayons for us.  The yellow box just means fun to me.  I remember at school the kid with the largest box would be the coolest especially if it had one of those built in sharpeners.

So when I read that toddler my daughter’s age should be able to start learning how to hold crayons I realized that we don’t have any at home.  Up until I had her I always had coloring pencils or felt tip pens and play dough because I enjoy playing.  Yesterday I picked a pack of fat crayons because they should be easier to hold.  We opened the box today and she picked out a red crayon, She likes bright colo.  She held it and then attempted to put it into her mouth.  I picked out a purple on and started drawing swirls on a white sheet of paper, she was fascinated and then tried to put her crayon in her mouth again.  After a couple of failed attempts she threw the crayon away and went to play with her other toys.  I guess she’s still not ready yet, but when she is, we have crayons.

What reminds you of your early years at school?

• At 2009.07.01 21:49, ibhog said:

okay, I’m like hopelessly nostalgic now!

those trips were the highlight of my year when I was a kid, and yes actually those stationery shops are always reminiscent of school days, whenever I happen to pass by one of them now.

rabena ye7fazhalek :)

• At 2009.07.02 15:56, jessyz said:

Stationary shops are the best kind of shops :-)

• At 2009.07.01 22:59, ze2red said:

Wow, hope she would learn drawing and coloring soon, just don’t regret it when she starts fooling around with these colors everywhere around the house 😀

This post really took me to great memo’s and i can admit that stationary still captures my eyes till this day, and i switched from cryons to colored pens, and i have plenty of them, and everyone i know think i’m childish about this issue but the discover that they come in handy almost all the time 😀 😀 😀

thanks for a nice post that put a smile on my face, and may ur baby girl enjoy it and love it as much u did and still do 😉

• At 2009.07.02 15:56, jessyz said:

I am glad my post made you smile. I bought the washable kind just in case 😉

• At 2009.07.03 18:23, Karmi said:

Me too. Very nostalgic. I loved my crayons and my notebooks. I’m sure you child will start with the crayons soon. And you will have to take her away from the walls!

• At 2009.07.28 18:16, jessyz said:

Hehehe I’m planning on buying only washable crayons just in case.

• At 2009.07.08 15:03, Hicham said:

Jessyz, you make me travel back into the past many years ago; not so many ya3ni but many bardak. I used to play with colours and I loved them so thanks for placing a smile on my face by this post :)

• At 2009.07.28 18:16, jessyz said:

You are welcome, it’s always a pleasure to go back in time in our heads.

• At 2009.07.29 16:58, Amira AK said:

I still have my big box of crayola crayons!! When I want to treat the kids in the family, I take it out with a pile of paper and we draw and doodle and scribble (depending on age – i do all three of course, no age boundaries here) and each child writes his or her name on their work of art and proudly takes it home :)

• At 2009.08.02 09:16, jessyz said:

Oooh! Can I come to your house and draw and take my art work home?

• […]  One of my favorite essays is the one about crayons.  He talks about how a box of crayons (I love crayons) makes adults and children alike giddy with happiness. Maybe we should develop a Crayola bomb as […]

• At 2010.08.07 02:46, Misty said:

Hi

I was in a boarding school in India from a very young age of 7!! I remember this new American girl, who was my room mate and classmate too, bringing with her huge suitcases full of fascinating things.

One of them, was her brand new box of 64 crayolas. I had never seen anything like that..and thought that she was the luckiest girl in the world.

I remember looking at it once, and she grabbed it from my hand and yelled at me for touching it. Then she locked it up.

Years later………I came to America and bought a box for myself!!