I am going to give you a magic wand, wings and a cute outfit. Congratulations! You are now a fairy godmother. Ok slash the cute outfit if you don’t think it would work for you. Anyways, you can go pick one person and give them 3 wishes, or 3 people and give each person one wish, it is your choice. What do you do? Who do you pick? And because I am in a very generous mood you can make one wish come true for humanity. Then you have to pass on the wand to someone else so they can spread the wishes around.
Personally, I’d pick 3 people (my husband, mother and sister). I’d love to give each one three wishes but rules are rules.
My wish for humanity would be getting rid of poverty. Or world peace. Or more tolerance. Or happiness. Oh the possibilities are endless.
What would you do?
Last week I wrote what you should NOT do in Ramadan, this week I am telling you what you should do.
- Be nice to those around you, even if you don’t know you. Just smile to people(الإبتسام في وجه أخيك صدقة). Help someone across the road, carry the groceries for your neighbor or help your mom cook Iftar. It doesn’t have to be something elaborate, simple gestures of appreciation and niceness go a very long way. Islam and Ramadan are not just about the religious acts but about every day good behavior that makes us better people and a better community as a whole.
- Give to a different charity. Think outside of the box, help a couple to get married, help someone out of debt, buy translated Qurans for new converts. Think of charities or things that people don’t really remember and you will come up with great ideas.
- Forgive. If you are holding any grudge against someone, find it in yourself to forgive, forget and let go.
- Learn and teach a hadith a day or teach a child a day about Ramadan. My good friend GJoez is teaching us a hadith a day on her facebook status (جزاها الله خيرا). It is a beautiful idea, she gets to reach all of her friends. Even if you don’t want to do that, pick a hadith from el Bukhari or a good hadith book, read it’s explanation and share it with your family or friends. If you have a child, neice, nephew or can borrow any munchkin from anywhere, teach them something about Ramadan or Islam.
- Tie your yearly Zakat with Ramadan. Any money or gold that has been in your possession for a year has zakat which should be paid. It might be easier to tie your zakat with Ramadan because it is a memorable date, it is also a good time for more 7asanat.
P.S. You also should pray Tarawee7, read Quran and generally find your better spiritual self. But then again all of you should already know that. I was just trying to point out what might not be so obvious
I bought a pair of FitFlops last week and I am sooo happy. Truth is, I’ve been looking for comfortable pair of shoes for so many months (read: ever since I got pregnant). Everything ends up either blistering my feet or giving me cramps. Running errands with a very active baby on my shoulder or hip is not very easy on your feet. I had read about them before and wanted to order them, but I am really picky about buying shoes without trying them. So when last week I found them in a store I went for it. They’re pricey compared to a regular pair of flip flops but so worth it. I got the brown color. It’s like a mini workout really. It’s not hype. My feet would kill me after a few hours running around. But not anymore :-). Now I am just thinking about buying them in another color. They look good too.
Seven Reasons Why Everyone is Wearing FitFlops (from Amazon)
- FitFlop midsoles incorporate patent-pending micro-wobbleboard™ technology, to give you a workout while you walk.
Developed by Darren James and Dr David Cook at LSBU, the FitFlop’s unique safely-tapered midsole places varying densities of EVA under your feet each time you step, to challenge the support and balance muscles of the foot and leg.
- They challenge hard to reach muscles more.
FitFlops are engineered with a multi-density midsole that stimulates your muscles more while you’re wearing them. In independent University testing, FitFlops have been shown to trigger increase gluteal muscle response, increased hamstring response, increase rectus femoris (thigh) response and increased calf muscle response.
- Every step you take in your FitFlops helps tone and trim your legs.
Studies at Salford University by Dr. Philip Graham-Smith and Richard Jones have shown that the FitFlop midsole extends the amount of time that the slow twitch* muscles are engaged during each step (by approximately 10-12%). So just by wearing a pair of FitFlops you’ll get more exercise while doing just exactly what you’re normally doing.
*slow twitch muscles produce energy by converting fats into energy aerobically
- FitFlops work your bum muscles more.
FitFlops have been proven to increase the amount of time that the gluteus maximus muscle is ‘activated’ during every single step.
- FitFlops have been shown to have a significant effect on the toning muscles of your thighs.
The rectus femoris muscle (one of the large muscles in the group of muscles in your thigh) is activated for a longer period of time while walking in FitFlops than while normally shod or barefoot.
- Walking in FitFlops is like walking barefoot, but a little bit better.
According to a study done at the University of Salford in Manchester, UK, the FitFlop wearer’s gait is very similar to that of a barefoot walker, but the added cushion provided by the EVA midsole helps reduce joint strain and absorb shock. In fact, several FitFlop wearers have already reported relief from back pain after a few days of wearing them.
- FitFlops make it easier to stay in shape. Just throw them on while you’re running errands, walking to work, or working around your house. Most first-time FitFlop wearers report feeling their muscles working more, while ‘fitter’ wearers feedback has been more toward great comfort and cushion. One woman reported feeling like she’d had a ‘bum-blasting’ workout after a half an hour of FitFlop-shod walking.
Disclaimer: They’re not paying me to right this, I am in love with them on my own, but if you do decide to buy them from Amazon I get a referrers cut
- Double Park. Double parking is an evil that should be avoided, seriously just because you are fasting does not give you an excuse to double park. Walk the extra distance and be nice to the world. Just because you are going to pray does not mean you can double park either, praying is a good thing, annoying people is bad. Balash 7ad ye7asben 3aleko keda fe Ramadan.
- Pig out. How many Ramadans do you need to learn that eating everything in the fridge and kitchen including the sink is a bad idea?
- Send corny texts. Either call or don’t bother. If you really need to send a corny SMS then it should be funny and you should still call. If you don’t care enough to call then your SMS doesn’t really matter.
- Go mosalsalat crazy. They suck anyway and you will end up complaining about how bad they are. Do something useful instead like think of non corny sms messages to send in Eid.
- Blame everything in Seyam. We”re all fasting so you are not getting any pity from me.
Generally try to be nice to people. Smile more often and be grateful that at the end of the day you will have a hot meal and enjoy it with loved ones, the world is full of people who are not that lucky.
P.S. If you really still have the need to pig out, make sure you leave some space for dessert especially if it is 2atayef, 2om 3ali or konafa nabolseya. Law sara2t esra2 gamal, wen3eshe2t e3sha2 2amar wen ettafest ettafes 3ala 7aga testahel we kol sana wento tayebeen ya welad.
I love making stuff. I really do. I am just usually too lazy or too tired. For some reason, though, I’ve been dreaming of making felt soft toys all last week. So, totally by chance, I found some felt last Thursday and bought some. I then went home, googled “felt bunny pattern” and found this PDF. I realized I needed some more felt and different colored thread so I went out and bought the stuff yesterday and made a bunny.
Mr. Bunny Bunny
He took 4 hours to make, Lulu likes him but not as much as Woowoo but that’s ok. I still have lots of left over felt so I am looking for a new project :-D. Now excuse me while I go dream about them.
Handbags in Blue. What more can this girl want?
ECHO Reversible Paisley Tote
Melie Bianco Oversized Multi Sequins Clutch
Roxy Where It's At Hobo
Steve Madden Raceway Flap Cross-Body
The SAK Indio Crochet Tote
Cute enough gloves might just make me seriously consider taking boxing lessons.
People Who Deserve it is a hilarious blog, which lists people who deserve a punch in their face.
- Queue Cutters. We just don’t know how to queue. It’s simple, person 1 first, person 2 stands behind him, person 3 behind person 2, ….. person n behind person n-1. The key word here is behind, not next to, not in front of but behind. The next time someone cuts in line I am going to punch them in the face and feel good about it. I also find it very irritating when there are separate lines for men and women and men think it is ok to push the women because their line is so much longer.
- Naffaf El Taffaf. You know the guy? Who rolls down his window, and spits his phlegm out? Gross! I’d love to punch him in the face but I am sure it is too gross.
- Sweaty Betty. Take a shower Mr. Stinky!
- Eye Shadow Lovers. Some women tend to overdo the eyeshadow thing. Electric blue and powerful purple right upto their eyebrows is just an eyesore. I should punch them and give them permanent black eyes, no eyeshadow needed.
- Complainers. Especially the kind that do nothing to improve what they are complaining about.
- Litterers. Seriously? Can’t you wait till you find a bin? We would all like to live in litter free environments.
- Nosy people afraid of the evil eye. These people are weird. They are nosy and they want to know everything about YOUR life. Like how much you get paid, or where did you get your sofa from, how happy you are in your marriage, where did you go on vacation, the details and everything, but they hardly ever tell you anything about their lives because they are afraid you might jinx them. If you are afraid of the evil eye, don’t ask people so they won’t ask you.
Who do you want to punch?