What’s in a name?

There is a famous Arabic saying that everyone gets something from their name (كل واحد له نصيب من اسمه). I’ve always been curious about names that don’t have a direct meaning. Lots of Arabic names are meaningful and are an adjective in themselves, like Huda, Kareem, Hanaa or Amirah. I am guessing that these names are easily deciphered but what about my name, Yasmin? Am I like a flower? Pretty? Do I get to smell nice? Am I delicate? Do people want to pick me and put me in a vase? Or maybe I am seasonal and only get to bloom one season a year. I love my name and wouldn’t change it for any other name, but what am I getting out of it? What is in your name?

• At 2009.10.03 18:02, chika said:

I am nothing like my name but I surely do appreciate the fact that it’s “weird” or unique! not too many nut cases out there ;p

• At 2009.10.08 09:28, jessyz said:

I’ve asked you before right? But I always forget what it means, and btw I think it is a really pretty name.

• At 2009.10.03 21:59, هوندا said:

هنادى
        😀
        تفتكرى ده معناه انى هفضل انادى طول عمرى؟؟
        😀

• At 2009.10.08 09:28, jessyz said:

Heheheh nadi enti bas we shoofi.

Bas begad howa ya3ni eh Hanady other than ennek betnadi?

• At 2009.10.04 03:02, ze2red said:

Ok, my real name is sara, if you take like that, could i sense that i should be walking for the rest of my life.

and if you put an H and the end of it to be Sarah, it has something to do with happiness… hmmm weird, does it really fit??!!

i guess my nickname fits me the most, ze2red, becuase i’m a small person. 150cm tall, 50 kilos in weight. so it fits me more, and i can tell you the name’s meaning “7aga soghanona” is typically me 😀

• At 2009.10.08 09:29, jessyz said:

Hehehe I don’t think I’ve ever met a Sarah that did not make me happy so maybe it means that you make other people happy.

• At 2009.10.09 12:40, ze2red said:

i tend to get this comment, or should i say complement :), from lots of people i know. Hope it’s true for real :)

• At 2009.10.10 21:22, jessyz said:

:-) let me invite you for a cup of coffee some time and we can find out

• At 2009.10.04 11:06, Cinderella said:

well my name is Cinderella.. msh 3arfa b2a :$

• At 2009.10.08 09:29, jessyz said:

I thought it was just your nickname, what an interesting name.

I looked it up:
                      The word “cinderella” has, by analogy, come to mean one whose attributes are unrecognised, or one who unexpectedly achieves recognition or success after a period of obscurity and neglect.
                      Source Wikipedia

• At 2009.10.09 12:41, ze2red said:

@ jessyz: we all thought that 😀

@ cindy: you really are blessed with a nice name, with a great meaning, really hope you get “nasebek” from it 😉

• At 2009.10.04 12:57, gjoez said:

Haha! I like to believe that my ‘Gihan’, gave me a bit of a unique personality. I have been told that I am different from everyone else so many times.

Or so I allow my self to believe 😀

• At 2009.10.08 09:34, jessyz said:

Hehehe I looked it up too, it means universe in Turkish.
                            Source

• At 2009.10.04 13:13, KJ said:

My name means “red velvet cloak” ie I am royal 😉 my base name “K N N” means “vault of secrets” so I got a bit from both :)

• At 2009.10.08 09:34, jessyz said:

It’s an interesting name with an interesting meaning too.

• At 2009.10.04 14:52, Amira AK said:

but i love yasmine ya jess.. all yasmines i know are sweet and good people kida by nature.. safyeen w pure! i believe that even if people don’t have traits of the meaning of the name, they have certain common characteristics. i won’t say mohammed or ahmed because there are simply too many of them 😉 but for example, ismail are usually good people and hadyeen kida.. khaled, even if they don’t have long lives, i feel they are gentle and friendly with a sense of humour.. or is it me projected the characteristics of people i know with that name so i end up seeing everyone carrying the same name with the same characteristics?? i don’t know.. i’m rambling too much.
                                  btw, what does gihan mean? always wondered, never asked!

• At 2009.10.08 09:36, jessyz said:

Hehehehe thanks Amira, I love my name actually. The best thing about it too is that it is universal, it works with all languages and the meaning is pretty obvious.
                                    I also agree with you that sometimes we tend to view people with the same name as having similar personality traits, I am not sure if this is some form of cognitive mind trick or if it really is true.

• At 2009.10.04 15:32, Lasto adri said:

Few years back a dear friend told me
                                      “لستُ أدرى، لكن عندى ايمان”
                                      And I believe thats the most sincere phrase I’ve heard about me, and fits like no other..

So yes, I don’t know.. but I have faith.. and thats me 😉

• At 2009.10.08 09:37, jessyz said:

I love that!

But it is true, having faith is a lovely thing even if you do not know.

• At 2009.10.04 20:47, Bodyc said:
                                          • At 2009.10.10 23:04, ze2red said:

eh dah… begad??!!!

i’m in. When will u be visiting us here in Egypt. walla khalas nafoky barra el 2arady :D?

• At 2009.10.15 08:41, jessyz said:

La2 la2 el shar barra we be3eed ya she5a ana ba7eb masr we law masr esta3’net 3anni ana ma2darsh asta3’na 3anha, howa bas aaah donya we el zoroof we keda.

Dunno but definitely isa in my next visit we have to meet up.

• At 2009.10.15 22:32, ze2red said:

i’ll wait be faregh el sabr for your next visit so we can meet 😉

• At 2009.10.17 18:07, Hicham said:

I am Hicham and it’s enough for me. To be honest, Although I know this proverb I don’t take it into consideration because if so, many people who’s name have meaning are contradicting with them so I am taking it easy 😀