About Cup Holders And Letting Go

It all started when we had the Uno, my sister and I would fight who would get to put their Diet Pepsi can in the mesh holder, the person driving usually won.  Then it became and even bigger obsession when I would run out the door on my way to work with my coffee mug still hot and drink my coffee on the way to work or when I’d buy a latte from the next door Cilantro.   I wanted a car with cup holders then, and I still do.  I don’t go to work and I only drink coffee early in the morning if my daughter is still asleep and I never take my coffee with me and I almost never buy coffee when I am out.  Coffee is hot and is also a magnet for little curious hands that still do not fully understand the concept of “hot” even though she does know the word “2oh2ah” which roughly translates to “so5na”.

Then why on earth do I still think about cup holders?  Perhaps we become so obsessed about things at a given point in time that it becomes imprinted in our unconscious?  My only use for a cup holder in a car right now would be to put my daughter’s sippy cups, which she usually wants to hold during any journey in the car anyways.

How many things have you bought or even just wanted even though they no longer made sense?  How many things do you still own that you have no need for, but can’t let go of because of some long forgotten emotional bond?  As humans we tend to get attached to things, ideas and people.  We can’t let go or won’t let go because of the emotional investment in them.  Even when we fully comprehend that we no longer believe in these things.

What won’t you let go of?

• At 2009.11.22 14:24, Rasha said:

I can’t let go of my old old tapes…20 years old music. despite the fact that i have most of them on CDs.
    Actually, i can’t let go of many things that go way back…waaaaaay back.

• At 2009.11.23 09:15, jessyz said:

Heheheh I don’t own any tapes, probably because I find MP3 players much easier and convenient to use.

• At 2009.11.22 17:02, Christie said:

My magazine subscriptions, even though I never seem to have time to read them anymore. Some stay wrapped in their plastic, not even making it to the pretense that I may in fact one day read it!

• At 2009.11.23 09:15, jessyz said:

You can always send them my way, I love magazines. Once little one is in bed I love reading magazines quietly on the couch or in bed.

• At 2009.11.23 08:34, Mona said:

I can’t let go of a skirt I keep telling myself I’ll fit into one day.

• At 2009.11.23 09:17, jessyz said:

I have a pair of jeans like that too.

• At 2009.11.23 13:18, ze2red said:

hmmm… i love buying and collecting weird, nice, and one of the kind key chains. Mini, mickey, hello kitty, bugs bunny, piglet, winne the pooh, flowers, hearts, sparky letters. love notes, etc… you name it. It was and still is an obsession, to wonder around and by lovely key chains, and hang them in my bags “too many to attach my keys too”, i even divided my keys to 3 sets so i can use the largest number i can of key chains.

• At 2009.11.24 13:46, jessyz said:

Hilarious, I only have one key chain, a simple metal flower thingy. I love looking at them in stores but I never feel the need to buy them.

• At 2009.11.24 22:26, ze2red said:

Ohhhh… you make me look like a crazy person :)

• At 2009.11.25 21:43, jessyz said:

No wallahi ma2sod. I’ve collected stamps, coins, fountain pens, trolls, hello kitty stuff, weird shaped erasers, books and comics. I just never thought of collecting key chains :-)

• At 2009.11.24 16:29, Amira AK said:

Ah! Cup holders!!! Extremely important! They were the first question I asked the agent at Opel when I bought my car. I stepped into his office very seriously and I think he was expecting I’d ask all sorts of questions regarding the make of the car, its availability, the available colours, the motor and all that.. instead my very first question was ‘How many cup holders does it have?!’ then ‘what’s their size? will they hold the big mugs, or only the very thin ones? are they solid?’ 😀

I think i have too much clutter in general. I used to collect anything and everything: rubbers/erasers, bookmarks – still do, key chains, pencils from around the world, notebooks (far too many), telephone cards (you should see my collection!), comics, books (but i’ll never let go of those!!), movie tickets (i still do. religiously!)…etc.

• At 2009.11.24 22:24, ze2red said:

Amira, you too collect key chains, seems like i’m not the only weirdo around here :)
                          i collect Pens not pencils, the ones with lovely colors, i have this huge stationary, people laugh at me because of it. i used to collect notebooks too, but i finally stopped :)

• At 2009.11.25 21:46, jessyz said:

Everytime my husband asks me what kind of car I’d like, I tell him a blue one with cup holders :-). I keep some movie tickets if it was a special occasion.

• At 2009.11.27 11:58, Amira AK said:

Did i tell you about the sample shampoo bottles I get from hotels?! terrible habit, i have to stop it. but i just love the different shapes and sizes of them and now the qualities.. they actually have very good shampoo in some hotels. oh, and i used to collect ice-cream sticks and make things out of them (i would wash them of course and dry them in the sun). That summer i gained a lot of weight! 😀

• At 2009.12.05 08:00, jessyz said:

I love the shampoo bottles from hotels and I usually hate the shampoo inside of them, it usually smells off and doesn’t really work well for my hair, but I love those bottles.