CIB Egypt Your Customer Service Sucks

I’ve had a CIB account for 10 years minus a couple of days.  I can remember because I was waiting to turn 18.  I went alone and I had the thousand Egyptian Pounds that were the minimum needed to open a minors’ account.  I had been saving at the Post Office (yes I like to try and  save).  I was so proud of myself.  At my first job they asked me to open an account at Al Ahli Bank and I said no, I want to use my CIB account, they told me my salary would always be a couple of days late, I said I didn’t mind, I was a loyal customer.  At my second job, they transfered to CIB again so I didn’t change accounts.  At my last job they forced me into opening an account at the HSBC and even though their customer service was great I still preferred the CIB account because there were more branches and more ATM machines and the ATM card doubled as a Debit Card using the Visa Electron system.  I’d transfer my account to the CIB and use that card most of the month.  Anyone who asked me about my favorite bank I’d tell the the CIB.

So when last week I called them to confirm my account number for  a bank transfer I was doing and the call center representative neglected to inform me that my account had been closed because there were not transactions being made for a long time.  I was very clear and told her that I would be transferring money and that I was out of the country and she didn’t warn me.  I called yesterday because I wasn’t able to log into my internet banking account and the representative told me that the account had been closed.

It was so simple for them, one account, closed.  It is not simple for me.  First of all they wasted my time.  I was lucky that the transaction had failed otherwise my money would have been left in banking hell limbo.

To make a long story short, CIB you suck big time, you lost a loyal customer because your call center representative did not go the extra mile, your system is not smart enough or you just don’t care enough.  If she had told me the first time that the account was closed she would have saved me time but apparently no one cares about my time except me.  If the person who answered me the second time told me that he could see what he could do and tried to activate my account I would have been annoyed but still loyal.  Now I am angry and feeling betrayed.  I trust my bank.  I have to, they keep my money.  Once that trust is gone, the relationship is doomed.

In the middle of the conversation I asked to talk to a supervisor or manager so he told me that I would have to give him an Egyptian number.  How can I do that if I am not in Egypt?  Last month an HSBC rep called me telling me that they had noticed a strange transaction on my internet credit card, they had blocked it and were calling to confirm.  They called my home number in Egypt first and my mom gave them my number in Kuwait and they called long distance,  now that is what I call dedication.  To make that long story short, my email had been hacked and someone tried to make a transaction for 600$.  HSBC saved me those 600$ and a lot of hassle.  I was impressed by how they handled the whole situation and felt very happy.  CIB on the other hand did nothing for me and did themselves a disservice.  I might not have a lot of money at their bank but a bad reputation is bad for business.

• At 2009.11.16 15:10, Amira AK said:

thumbs up!! I actually closed an account with them and they continued to send me statements and 8 months later i got fed up and called them and they told me they hadn’t closed the account!!! same happened to someone else i know! I have to say that this has happened with another bank too and that they both fixed the problem 3ala toul.. but still.

• At 2009.11.16 16:08, jessyz said:

It was how they responded that annoyed me. I can accept the fact that they have a procedure set up to cancel accounts that have been dormant. But there has to be a better way to deal with customers.

• At 2010.02.10 16:58, citizenofhumanity said:

Well, Jessyz..that is a horrible experience..i have been a cib customer for 10 years, and things has always been great! sometimes systems fail, but people always cared!!
        They are still the most reliable bank around here, and they have changed lately alot of stuff..they even added a sort of greeter in every branch to meet customers and direct them , they even perform transactions for customers to save the customers waiting time!
        When i’m late, i always go to the branch head, and she always helps me herself and i’m not a wealthy customer or anything!
        I think they are getting better with time, they told me they are undergoing systems upgrade…i will stick around and see!! i have faced some issues with them, but still i think they are the best around!

• At 2009.11.16 15:50, Organica said:

Wow! Stick with the other bank!

• At 2009.11.16 16:08, jessyz said:

I definitely will be.

• At 2009.11.16 20:01, ze2red said:

Now i respect HSBC awy and how they deal with their customers, impressive 😉

• At 2009.11.17 14:58, jessyz said:

To be honest, they have always had awesome customer service, they just didn’t have enough ATM machines and they don’t have a Debit card. I don’t like Credit Cards and a card that just directly debits from your account is an awesome service.

• At 2009.11.17 14:08, inas said:

put this story on facebook it will be more efficient let more people read it

• At 2009.11.17 14:59, jessyz said:

I will do that

• At 2009.11.17 16:53, Elegant Chic said:

Eeeww!! Those people aren’t trained or what??!!??

• At 2009.11.17 17:17, jessyz said:

Apparently not trained or not motivated enough.

• At 2009.11.19 13:08, gjoez said:

Strange story begad! How could people deactivate an account aslan just because it is unused. La2 msh fahmaha 7’ales el 7ekaya deh. Ma3lesh ya Jessyz, Rabbena ye7’lefek 7’eeer. You have every right to feel betrayed.

Oh! and happy birthday :)

• At 2009.11.21 10:50, jessyz said:

They just did it, so, apparently they can.

• At 2010.02.10 21:11, Mooom said:

Dear Jessyz

i have been reading all comments you wrote, but let me start by saying one thing , this was such an experience that no body wishes to go through it,but CIB lately is getting better and better and it seems that you are non active client there for quite a long time, im a CIB client since i begin to save money , but i want to make some points clear that you might use to solve your problem ,

They have a complete team called Customer Care Unit, they main task is to satisfy customers you can raise a complain and i did receive before an apology call from them explains for me why my credit card didn’t work , ( the reason was cause i used up all the limit :) )

im a client with more than 4 banks in Egypt but as an overall self evaluation and progress i have been monitoring . CIB still the 1st private bank in Egypt with Market Share and overall performance ,

back to your point .. raise and escalate your complain and im sure u will find an answer

• At 2010.02.14 15:41, jessyz said:

I will definitely escalate once I am back on Egyptian soil because I believe that unless every customer demands high quality service we will be stuck with bad quality service.

• At 2010.04.22 15:35, mora said:

mora 21 april 2010 my pincode of cib not arrived yet for 4 months it still at post till now

• At 2010.05.03 15:57, jessyz said:

Have you called them and complained?

• At 2010.08.07 20:52, sami said:

CIB is the worst banking experience I’ve ever had. They’ll block your account when you are trying to use it overseas, and there will be NO WAY for you to unblock it, even if you call customer service and ask them to unblock it. This has happened to me personally twice. So I closed my account. If I can’t depend on taking money out of my account when I need it, why should I stick around? Jessy had it right, CIB SUCKS BIG TIME.

• At 2011.02.01 10:08, Maggie said:

I have had a long term really bad problem with the digital signature and certficate they issued-which did not work and for which they charged me 200 LE. I am still waiting for my refund Last year in Egypt I tried to get a new one and they messed around so much I had to leave without it. After complaining and complaining and going around and around in circles I want to close my accounts and make a complaint to the CEO if I can find a contact address for him. Now of course there is a revolution and I can’t even go online to check my account. What a complete joke of a bank. It has cost me a lot of money just to compensate for THEIR stupidity and inefficiency. I agree CIB customer service sucks!!!!!