Give a Book Away

{Note this was in my drafts folder dated February 10th, but totally forgot about it}

I was tidying up the bookshelves and saw the copy of The Alchemist which I gave to my husband when we were engaged. I asked my friends what book would they give to their significant other.  I got some interesting answers (The Alchemist, What Life Taught me  – Galal Amin, War and Peace and Have a Little Faith).

{Until this morning when I saw Ola’s post on Cinnamon Zone}

I love the idea.

So why don’t you give a friend a book that might be useful.

Who would you give a book to and what would it be?

• At 2010.02.23 13:39, Amira AK said:

Great idea Jessyz,
    my friends and I lately have been mooching http://www.bookmooch.com
    it’s a website where you put in a list of books you want to give away and then you exchange with people from all over the world. it’s a great way to keep books alive.

I am one of the worst book hoarders there is, and getting me to let go of “some” my books is something really big, so I’m much happier knowing the book is in the safe hands of someone who is willing to read it and then pass it on to someone else, or at least read it, appreciate it and give it a nice home.

make an account and join yalla. My username is AmiraAk
    and my bookmooch page is: http://bookmooch.com/m/bio/aakhalek

I’ve given away quite a few books and i’ve received some great ones in person and in the mail. it’s a wonderful experience :)

• At 2010.03.04 16:09, jessyz said:

I checked bookmooch, seems so cool, will create an account.

• At 2010.02.24 21:39, هوندا said:

فكرة إيجابية جداً قمت بها مع بعض أصدقائى وزوجى فى الحقيقة أفضل ان نختار الكتاب كبداية لهذا الشخص بأى شىء يحبه
        أو قريب من اهتماته فهذا يجذبهم بشدة
        وإذا لم تخمنى اهتماتهم ممكن أن يكون كتاب عام غير متخصص
        عن نفسى أكثر الكتب التى قمت باهدائها لأصدقائى

منهاج المسلم
        سلسلة إدارة المرأة والذات لدكتور أكرم رضا
        جدد حياتك

• At 2010.03.04 16:09, jessyz said:

I love your book selection.

• At 2010.02.25 11:54, nousha said:

For my case, I wouldn’t give my husband a book, cause our tastes in reading is totally different. But the idea is nice. I get very excited when I am certain that a book suits the mood of a friend and I give it as a present. :)

• At 2010.03.04 16:11, jessyz said:

You never know until you try, couples’ tastes tend to converge a bit once they are married for a while.

• At 2010.02.26 21:20, Amira AK said:

I used to give The Alchemist because at a point in time that book had a deep effect in my life. Now, I would give Jibran’s The Prophet or Rilke’s Letters to a Young Poet. It depends on the person really, what they mean to me and what stage in their life they’re at. I have also given away Le Petit Prince.. beautiful little book :)

• At 2010.03.04 16:13, jessyz said:

I love The Prophet too and Le Petit Prince. Both are very simple yet very thought provoking.

• At 2010.03.16 12:50, Juka said:

The Kite Runner :) To everyone!

• At 2010.03.17 13:28, jessyz said:

I liked it, but I still think Le Petit Prince or The alchemist is a better choice.

• […] was planning to give the book away to someone else to read but I have decided against it, I definitely want to keep this book and read […]