11 Books

I am so behind on my reading.

All of these books, sad that I haven’t read them yet.

I’ve been reading Istanbul for what feels like forever now.

Edited: The books from the top are

Atyaf

Sale7 Heisa

Awlad 7aretna

Resalat el Basa2er fel Masa2er

Azazeel

Istanbul

The girl with the dragon tattoo

Eat, Pray, Love

Talk to the Hand

e

Snow

• At 2010.03.16 12:48, Juka said:

Hmm, I’m in a similar situation.

Lets see, I’m currently reading the third book from the top. (I can’t make out what the 1st, second and fourth are). I’m loving it btw!

My To Read List is as follows:
    God of Small Things, My Name is Red, Kafka on the Shore, The Dialogues of Plato, Youssef Zidane’s new book, The Lost Symbol, Thawret 2053 El Bedaya, When Markets Collide and A Brief History of Everything.

In no particular order!

• At 2010.03.16 16:29, Amira AK said:

Juka, I got A Brief History of Nearly Everything as an audiobook. i don’t think i would have had the courage to actually read it and it’s an excellent companion for the dreary traffic of Cairo. it’s pretty long though. thirty chapters and each chapter goes on for around 40-50 minutes.

• At 2010.03.17 11:50, Juka said:

Amira, can I please please pretty please have a copy of that CD at the Read meeting?!!? (a)

E7em, Dear patron of intellectual property rights, please look the other way :)

• At 2010.03.17 13:18, jessyz said:

I read A Brief History of Nearly Everything and loved it. Of course this was BM (a.k.a before motherhood) when little fingers love to play with big books :-). I also *loved* My name is red, which is why I got Snow and Istanbul.
          I would also love to read the lost symbol and when markets collide. But I am not buying anymore books until I finish the ones I already have.

Amira I love Audio books too, the concept is amazing. I don’t drive long trips so I mainly listen to short podcasts TedTalks, PopTech and the PsychFiles. Amazing stuff really. I sometimes even listen to them again when they are really interesting. I also had this wonderful set about Economics which talks about Economics from medieval times to modern day I think it was a university course or something but it really was educational.

• At 2010.03.16 14:01, Mona said:

I’m reading Eat Pray Love now and like it so far. Great that you read both Arabic and English mashaAllah.

• At 2010.03.17 13:20, jessyz said:

I love reading in Arabic. When I was younger it used to scare me, until friends started recommending good novels like Amreekanli and Beirut Beirut. I discovered a whole new world of books. They’re also easier to find and much cheaper so that’s definitely a plus in my world.

• At 2010.03.16 16:35, Amira AK said:

You’re pretty luck Jessyz. I have mountains of books to read and don’t know where to start; many of which i recently mooched. my immediate to-read list would be Azazil, one hundred years of solitude, julia child’s memoires of her life in france, love in the time of cholera, hornby’s a long way down, julie andrews’ autobiography, naguib mahfouz’s trilogy, kiran desai’s inheritance of loss and some others. I am currently, quite pleasantly, reading bill bryson’s notes from a small island and enjoying it very much.

• At 2010.03.17 13:24, jessyz said:

Why lucky? 11 books is a mountain, not to mention the books my husband has that I would like to read but haven’t found the time. We both love buying books. I loved one hundred years of solitude. I bought it before I got married and read it after I moved to Kuwait. The book helped the transition a bit. Just thinking about all of these other people in far away lands in a different era who also had to find peace in their own solitude really helped.
                  My dream is to read the trilogy some day. Maybe when I can find someone who is willing to donate a few hours from their day. :-)

I also saw Notes from a small Island and had to force myself out of the bookstore.

Seriously I adore books. They are like mentors, friends and teachers.

• At 2010.03.16 22:47, ibhog said:

yes, Azazeel’s still in its plastic cover at my end, for almost 6 months now!

And I have a very similar stack and I keep buying books every time I visit a bookshop!

Hope you and Lulu are well :)

• At 2010.03.17 13:27, jessyz said:

I win, mine has been on the shelf since last March and still in its wrapping.
                      Al 7amdulla we are all good.
                      Lulu absolutely loves books too. I buy her lots and my mom also got her tons. I think my mom is the one with the bookworm gene and her grandmother before her. And my husband too loves reading, but he’s more business and work aligned at the moment. He does have an interesting collection of non work related books too. So I am guessing it is in her genes.