Just an idea

I had this idea that tortured me for days till it finally saw the light of day.  Ideas float in my head begging and pleading to be implemented into something more tangible than just an idea in my head.

The idea behind this is so simple.  A starting chain, then rounds until it is as tall as you would like plus a little extra.  Then you fold the button and sew on some buttons and add handles.

How easy is that?

Pattern

Chain 51.

SC (Single Crochet) in the back ridges of the chain (50SC), slip stitch into first SC and turn.

SC in the front loops of the chain (50 SC)

The rounds start now.

Chain 3 and DC all around. (100DC)

You can make it a solid color or striped.  I was just using up leftover cotton yarn.

Keep going until the bag is high enough, add a couple of more rows because when you create the base it gets slightly shorter.  Add one last row of SC for a cleaner finish.  Finish off and weave in ends.

Lay the bag on a flat surface align the side seam with the starting chain so a triangle is formed.  Sew on a button to keep it in place.  This creates a base for the bag instead of just being a flat rectangular bag.  I saw the same method being used on canvas totes, that’s where I originally got the idea.

Do the same for the other side.

Handles

You can either add crochet handles ( like the one’s in Lucy’s Bag or Alice’s Starling)

I found the middle 24 stitches on each side and marked with stitch markers on either side.

Attached a new color and did 24 SCs then 4 rows of SCs.

I set the handles in their place by surface crocheting the bag and the little rectangle I just made for the handle.

Repeat for the other handle.

This really only took a couple of afternoons and I wasn’t really focused and using a 3.5 mm hook.  If you focus and use worsted weight it could easily only take a couple of hours.

If you want to add a rigid base check out this tutorial

• […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by jessyz, Qwaider Planet. Qwaider Planet said: Just an idea #Easy #bag #crochet (@jessyz) Chocolate Mints In a Jar → http://bit.ly/avldNX […]

• At 2010.06.29 13:54, ze2red said:

this is so nice and colorful. Summer is talking 😉

• At 2010.07.31 05:53, jessyz said:

Yes summer sure was talking to me

• At 2010.06.29 14:49, sameha said:

Lovely ya jessyz :) Masha Allah :) Wait for my blue bag..lesa Iam a beginner :)

• At 2010.07.31 05:54, jessyz said:

Where is it?

• At 2010.06.30 15:40, CrochetN'Crafts said:

Very nice pattern, I especially love the handles…

• At 2010.07.31 05:55, jessyz said:

• At 2010.07.02 14:46, eshda3wa said:

i love ur work,
                  i always show your stuff to my mom n ask her if she can make me something similar.
                  she always says yes, then she never does! :(

• At 2010.07.31 05:58, jessyz said:

You should learn it is so much easier than it looks and then you can make whatever you like :-)

• At 2010.07.04 05:29, Cris said:

Very nice bag. Love the “rainbows” of colors!!

• At 2010.07.31 06:00, jessyz said:

Thank you, it wasn’t really intended :-)

• At 2010.07.20 08:43, freshpursuit said:

wow…wat an excellent colour combination….visiting ur blog thru ravelry…am also frm kuwait….
                          do cm n visit my blog wen free :)

• At 2010.07.31 06:00, jessyz said:

Awesome, another crocheter in Kuwait

• At 2010.07.20 08:45, freshpursuit said:

dear…very nice combi of colurs….am also from kuwait..visiting u frm ravelry..
                              do cm n visit my blog too wen u get time :)

• At 2010.07.31 03:18, Wanda said:

I’m confused from the get-go. I’m sure it will crystal clear when I do get it but right now it isn’t. It starts at the very first where you say to work the first 50 sc in the back ridge, sl st in first sc and turn. That forms a circle. How do you then turn and work in the front loops of the chain and end up with 100 stitches. When I tried that (with fewer stitches of course) I had what looked like two rows. I even tried a sl st in that last chain and working on the other side of the chain. That does work for a circle with twice as many stitches but when you work your dc around it doesn’t leave a piece to fold up at the end (where you put your button). So I’m just totally confused. I wish you had more pics showing the process, esp that part and then the end where you fold it and sew the button.

Please help.
                                Wanda

• At 2010.07.31 06:03, jessyz said:

You are right, it won’t be a circle really but what I meant is that it will be two rows forming the first round. and you can start working rounds from there on.
                                  As for the folding, it works the same exact way fabric totes are made. I’ll try to get some pics put up explaining the process better.

• At 2010.07.31 06:33, Wanda said:

Thanks I would appreciate pics. I am visually orientated. It helps me a lot.

• […] Boxy Bottom Buttoned Bag […]

• At 2011.05.29 20:59, Madelyn Kline said:

I love your patterns but don’t like to have to print the whole page. How can I print just the pattern. thank you m kline

• At 2011.05.29 21:06, jessyz said:

Just select the section with the pattern in it, copy and paste it in a word document or whatever software you use and print that. Hope that helps

• At 2011.05.30 00:50, Madelyn Kline said:

• At 2012.01.20 08:17, Nancy said:

I got a question do you put a lining in the bags so things won’t fall out? if so how do you sew that in? bags look awesome and easy am going to try this..Thanks..

• At 2012.01.20 08:28, jessyz said:

Hi Nancy yes I do add linings. Here is my tutorial for Zippered linings http://www.chocolatemintsinajar.com/craft/2011/06/adding-zippered-lining-crochet-knit-items/ and here is futuregirl’s tutorial for one without a zipper http://www.futuregirl.com/craft_blog/2008/10/tutorial-sew-a-lining-into-a-crocheted-bag.aspx The lining makes the bag sturdier and stops things from falling out. Please share pictures when you are done. I would love to see it