How to: Open Toe Crochet Sandals for any size

I walk barefoot at home. I would walk barefoot in the street if I could, but I can’t. My daughter is a little copy cat so she too walks barefoot, only problem is that the tiles sometimes get really cold and she jams her toes in the tables all the time (she takes after her mother). I had seen lots of crocheted baby sandals, booties, shoes but couldn’t find something that would fit a toddler and was not closed because her feet get hot and were simple and plain. So I designed my own. The hardest thing in this pattern is getting a two and a half year old to stand still for 30 seconds while you draw her feet. After the drawing, the second hardest is to make her give you the paper so you can measure it because she’s running around all over the place screaming “my feet my feet” while waving the paper around. These really are so easy to make and take an hour or two from start to finish and you only need very little yarn. Adult sized sandals can also be made in exactly the same way.

You will need:

• Worsted weight (thick worsted not light worsted, you don’t want a flimsy pair of sandals right?) yarn (how much will depend on the size of the feet)
  • 4.5 mm hook
  • 2 buttons
  • tapestry needle
  • scissors

1. First you will need to draw out the feet on a piece of paper. Once you have measure width and length of the foot at the longest points. Subtract the width from the length. The number you get is the length of your starting chain. In my case the length was 15.5 cm and the width was 7.3 cm. My starting chain was 8.2 cm long which turned out to be 12 chains. Add one chain for turning so that is a total of 13 chains.
  2. SC in the second chain from the hook, then SC in the next stitch across. Slip stitch into the first chain to join and chain 1, you should not have a hole just a very thin rectangle
  3. SC in each stitch until you get to the turning chain, SC 3 in it, SC in each stitch until you get to the slip stitch, SC 3 in it then slip stitch to the first SC to join and chain 1.
  4. SC in each stitch until you get to the the first 3 scs that were worked together, SC 2 in the next 3 stitches, SC in each stitch until you get to the second 3 scs sc 2 in the next 3 stitches. slip stitch to the first SC to join and chain 1
  5. SC in each stitch until you get to the first 2 SCs that were worked together, SC 2 in the next stitch, SC in next stitch, SC 2 in the next stitch, SC in next stitch, SC 2 in the next stitch, SC in next stitch, SC in each stitch until you get to the second 2 scs that were worked together, SC 2 in the next stitch, SC in next stitch, SC 2 in the next stitch, SC in next stitch, SC 2 in the next stitch, SC in next stitch, slip stitch to the first SC to join and chain 1
  6. SC in each stitch until you get to the first 2 SCs that were worked together, SC 2 in the next stitch, SC in next 2 stitches, SC 2 in the next stitch, SC in next 2 stitches, SC 2 in the next stitch, SC in next 2 stitches, SC in each stitch until you get to the second 2 scs that were worked together, SC 2 in the next stitch, SC in next 2 stitches, SC 2 in the next stitch, SC in next 2 stitches, SC 2 in the next stitch, SC in next 2 stitches, slip stitch to the first SC to join and chain 1
  7. SC in each stitch until you get to the first 2 SCs that were worked together, SC 2 in the next stitch, SC in next 3 stitches, SC 2 in the next stitch, SC in next 3 stitches, SC 2 in the next stitch, SC in next 3 stitches, SC in each stitch until you get to the second 2 scs that were worked together, SC 2 in the next stitch, SC in next 3 stitches, SC 2 in the next stitch, SC in next 3 stitches, SC 2 in the next stitch, SC in next 3 stitches, slip stitch to the first SC to join and chain 1
  8. SC in each stitch until you get to the first 2 SCs that were worked together, SC 2 in the next stitch, SC in next 4 stitches, SC 2 in the next stitch, SC in next 4 stitches, SC 2 in the next stitch, SC in next 4 stitches, SC in each stitch until you get to the second 2 scs that were worked together, SC 2 in the next stitch, SC in next 4 stitches, SC 2 in the next stitch, SC in next 4 stitches, SC 2 in the next stitch, SC in next 4 stitches, slip stitch to the first SC to join and chain 1
  9. If you are following you will realize that we are just working an oval base, with a length of straight scs then two half circles at each end. In the next rounds you will be adding a single extra SC between the increases. Keep going until the base is as big as the foot.
  10. Once the base is right you can start working on the sides.
  11. Once the size of the base is right.  SC in each stitch until you get to the first increase, work only 1 SC in each stitch and keep going to the second half circle.  Chain the same number you chained in your foundation and then slip stitch in the first SC of the round. and chain 1.  You have just created the strap  in the front.
  12. SC in each stitch until you get to the last SC before the chain, Skip it and skip the first chain, SC in the back ridges of the chains until you get to the last one, skip it and skip the first SC. Slip stitch into the second SC and chain 1.  Repeat for 3 more rows, every times skip a stitch before the strap and the first stitch in the strap and then SC along the strap and skip the last stitch in the strap and the first stitch in the sandal’s body.  Finish off and weave in ends.
  13. To add the second thin strap try on the sandal and attach your yarn where you would like the strap.  Measure the length across the foot to the other side of the sandal and chain twice the length and slip stitch in the same stitch where you attached the yarn.  Repeat for the second sandal but on the opposite side.
  14. Add the buttons and weave in all ends.
  15. Enjoy your sandals.
  16. If you would like to make the surface non slip you can use a glue gun or some puff paint and make some dots on the sole.

This is a tutorial and I tried to explain it as clearly as possible, if you need any help leave a comment or send me an email jessyz [at] chocolatemintsinajar [dot] com and I’ll help you out.

Comments
  • sterling... August 22, 2010 at 3:57 pm

those are adoreable! ^_^….

• jessyz August 23, 2010 at 12:37 am

Thank you and they are so easy to make too

• Rosita Brown August 23, 2010 at 3:53 am

These are so cute!

• jessyz August 23, 2010 at 4:08 am

• Becky August 27, 2010 at 6:41 am

I just watched a video on youtube with someone who made sandles out of plastic grocery bag “yarn”. Now I can give it a go!

• jessyz August 27, 2010 at 9:38 pm

Sounds interesting but I’d imagine the plastic yarn might be painful to wear

• Tasha July 16, 2014 at 4:45 pm

I must try that. I’m sick of all the bags I have

• Debbie August 30, 2010 at 6:46 am

DITTO!! These are so dang cute 🙂

• jessyz September 2, 2010 at 12:13 am

• Ashley September 10, 2010 at 3:01 pm

hey, nice blog…really like it and added to bookmarks. keep up with good work

• jessyz September 14, 2010 at 12:20 am

Thanx Ashley

• niki September 14, 2010 at 1:25 am

adorable! thanks for linking to LH 🙂

• jessyz September 15, 2010 at 12:54 am

Thanks Niki I love how you can see all the pretty pictures all at once

• Lela September 15, 2010 at 10:12 pm

have you ever heard of barefoot running? you never need to wear shoes! and its so much better for your feet!

• jessyz September 18, 2010 at 9:28 am

I love being barefoot, so does she, but the tiles get cold sometimes 😀

• Carola February 3, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Hi, thank you very much for your patterns,, I’m doing this one for my baby but I don’t understand how you did the sides. In pattern number 11 said to crochet only one SC row and then do the front strap but in the picture it seems you crochet 2 o 3 SC rows and then you did the front strap, or I miss something?Thank you again

• teva sandals clearance March 10, 2011 at 2:12 am

I love the look and feel of your blog. Your ability to introduce a product and inform your readers in a truthful light is commendable. I’ll be coming back to read more for sure in the future. Thanks!

• teva sandals clearance March 10, 2011 at 2:12 am

• Lulus April 13, 2011 at 2:34 am

Cute… could just imagine your little girl running around!

• Jenny April 27, 2011 at 2:03 am

I’m going to give these a shot only for my own feet. It will be something of a challenge as I wear size 11 women’s shoes. If successful, I may add rubber soles. Wish me luck and thanks for the great pattern.

• jessyz May 21, 2011 at 7:25 am

I hope it works out, I ordered rubber sole material to try making outdoor ones too

• Brad May 2, 2011 at 12:24 am

So in step 2, you say C in the second chain from the hook, THEN SC IN THE NEXT STITCH ACROSS, what do you mean by across? Across from what?

• jessyz May 21, 2011 at 7:28 am

across the previous row

• Mindy May 26, 2015 at 5:27 pm

So the third chain from the hook? As in the very next chain after the one you just did?

• flibble July 8, 2015 at 4:11 pm

I’m having issues with this section too.

• Shabana May 27, 2011 at 2:28 am

Hi this is great, but how did 8.2 cm turned out to be 12 chain? I’m a beginner Thanks 🙂

• jessyz May 27, 2011 at 10:16 pm

I just chained until the starting chain was as long as the foot and then counted the chains.

• Shabana May 28, 2011 at 4:06 am

OH !! Got it , Thank you so much ! I will try it now.

• Bronwyn May 31, 2011 at 12:52 pm

These are so great! I made a full-sized pair for myself and they were quick and easy to make. I wanted a pair I could wear outside, so what I did was to buy a ball of “Natural Polished Hemp” and crochet just the base, then stitched it to the upper…it’s a pain in the butt to work with, but the result is good enough to be worn in public. Thanks for a wonderful pattern!

• jessyz May 31, 2011 at 1:51 pm

What a super smart idea, I have already ordered soling material to try and make them suitable for the outdoors

• judith August 25, 2011 at 11:38 pm

Can this be made for a boy? i would like to make one for my grandson who will turn one in october,please let me know because i really love it.

• jessyz August 27, 2011 at 1:53 am

absolutely, it is a unisex pattern.

• Val Tarrien September 28, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Just wanted to reply and say nice site, great to read from people who know what they are talking about.

• swakmommy October 29, 2011 at 12:41 am

what was the yarn exactly that you used? I’m confused on the differences between yarns, and don’t know what to really look for, for a “thick” worsted weight yarn. I think I may be using this pattern for some christmas presents. 🙂

• jessyz December 7, 2011 at 10:37 am

I think if you are in the states a worsted weight yarn would be like sugar and cream

• Hannah December 23, 2011 at 12:54 am

This is such a cute pattern! I really want to make some of these, but I was wondering just how durable they would actually be?

• jessyz January 28, 2012 at 9:08 pm

very, she has outgrown them but still wears them with her toes sticking out and they are as good as new. Acrylic holds up really well

• Samantha Mummert January 28, 2012 at 5:39 am

Thank you for sharing this adorable crochet sandal pattern. They are so CUTE !!!

• Sandals!!! « babybeardesigns March 18, 2012 at 11:01 pm

[…] that look funny!!  Unless of course that’s the intention!  hahaha  But then I came across This pattern, and I was Stoked!!!  This blogger made them for her little girl, but I thought “how […]

• Izabela Motyl April 18, 2012 at 2:04 am

I think they are amazing! love them and will make for myself, because I like having something on… even when hot 🙂
    thanks for sharing 🙂

• jessyz April 19, 2012 at 7:58 am

thank you. I am more of a barefoot kind of girl all year round 🙂 but my daughter loved hers until she grew out of them.

• jpquinlan April 18, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Fantastic directions…thanks for sharing! Nice to have fellow crafters who dont mind sharing their “secrets”!

• jessyz April 19, 2012 at 7:59 am

You are welcome. The crafting community is one of the friendliest and most generous ones out there, it is always nice to give back even if it is so little

• Heather April 24, 2012 at 12:55 am

Why am I having such a hard time with this pattern?
    I am making these for my 1 year old and I am having the hardest time. I always follow patterns and have never had trouble before now. I follow the pattern and my base still ends up wonky.. and I do not understand the steps 11-13.

• vangie May 14, 2012 at 8:59 am

im horrible at reading patterns. you should totally upload a video to youtube or something. that would make my day lol

• sharon July 8, 2012 at 4:24 pm

I am not learnin to crochet but row 2 is puzzling. I don’t understand wat u mean by sc to turning ch then sc to SLST. Does that mean u go round without joining help plz if u can post a photo

• sharon July 8, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Lovely I wish I can get it done as I live in the caribbean keep feet cool

• oriana August 10, 2012 at 12:47 am

i’m also having trouble w/ step 2, very confused. A photo or video example would be of great help, and greatly appreciated. thank you so much and I’d like to add that this is a super cute pattern =)

• Xiang December 2, 2012 at 7:56 am

This is great. I am about to make some saddles for my 14mo grand baby, and this will come in very handy for a reference point

• Kelly January 10, 2013 at 11:02 am

I am an older person and can’t figure out how to measure my foot–this is difficult for me to do and reach
    I usually wear a size 8 1/2 wide if anyone has figured one out for themselves that are the same size and would love to share your pattern with me I would so truly appreciate it so so much
    Thanks to all that can help me
    Kelly

• sam December 18, 2016 at 4:20 am

Hi Kelly,

Know this response is years late, but in case you still need it or it helps anyone else with your shoe size, create a chain that is 5.5″ and follow the instructions provided.

• […] How to Crochet Open Toe Sandals for any size from Chocolate Mints in a Jar – Requires worsted weight yarn, 4.5mm hook and 2 […]

• chiropractors prescott July 9, 2013 at 7:56 am

Thanks in favor of sharing such a nice idea, article is pleasant, thats why i
    have read it entirely

• Free Crochet Sandal Patterns - April 23, 2014 at 1:30 am

[…] Open Toe Sandal For Baby To Adults (So Cute!) […]

• […] 11. Any Size Summer Sandals – Chocolate Mints in a Jar […]

• Free Crochet Sandal Patterns | November 16, 2014 at 5:24 am

[…] Open Toe Sandal For Baby To Adults (So Cute!) […]

• […] Download :How to: open toe crochet sandals for any size « the c side […]

• Belen May 25, 2015 at 11:30 pm

can i have this beautiful sandal in spanish?

• […] Open toes sandals for any size Finally I have to include these. They are directions, rather than a pattern, so could be made any size. The model does have very cute toes, and the description of drawing around the feet of a two-year-old is accurate! […]

• Megan December 4, 2015 at 8:40 pm

I was also puzzled by step two (“… then SC in the next stitch across …”). I’m a novice at crochet, but I did some googling and I have a theory. In some patterns there will be instructions like “[do xyz] across” and it just means to do “xyz” to the end of the row. So I *think* that step 2 just says to SC down the whole starting chain, join/chain, and then you’re crocheting in the round.

If jessyz could confirm or correct this, that would be great!

• bestpesni.ru March 3, 2017 at 9:27 am

Trump campaigned on a pledge to eliminate as
    much as $100 million in ‘wasteful climate change spending’ and there have been reports of plans to severely cut
    funding for NASA and other agencies. The information presented will
    enhance your explanations of Newton’s Law and increase students’ understanding.
    The courses that DPMI offers are Medical Lab Technology, Operation Theatre Technology,
    Radio Imaging Technology, Optometry, Ophthalmic assistants, Electro Cardiogram Technology, Medical Nursing Assistant, Clinical Microbiology and Veterinary Pharmacy.

• 94Tamara August 6, 2017 at 2:23 am

Hello blogger, i must say you have hi quality articles here.
    Your page should go viral. You need initial traffic only.
    How to get it? Search for; Mertiso’s tips go viral