My Creative Space: Bumpy Crochet Dishcloth {How to}

Green Dishcloth

After knitting a dishcloth and using it for some time I realized that dishcloths really are awesome.  I then made another one using the same yarn but smaller needles.  Then I decided to use some leftover cotton to make a crochet one.  At first I had no idea what to do with them, then found out that they are pretty little things that make wiping counters and drying dishes so much more fun.  Some people use them to wash dishes but I prefer to use my tawashis for that.

I’ve also learned:

• Cotton is better for dishcloths because it is more absorbent.
  • The tighter the fabric is the better.  Dishcloths need to be dense.
  • You can throw them in the washing machine without worrying.
  • They are environmentally friendly,  they can be used to soak up spills instead of kitchen towels.
  • They are great for practicing different stitches.
  • They are quick to make and can also be used as washcloths and facecloths.

Green Dishcloth

Want to make one?

Here’s how:

Stitches between asterisks ** are to be repeated

I used Coats India Cinderella and 3.5 mm hook

Starting Chain: Chain 37 {or any odd number depending on the size you want to make}

Row 1 : SC in the next 36 stitches. [36 SC]

Row 2: Turn, chain 1 and SC in same stitch, DC in next stitch *SC, DC* across [36 stitches]

Row 3 – 30 : Repeat row 2.

In the next rows you will be SCing in DCs and DCing in SCs.

Row 31: Turn, chain 1 and SC in same stitch, SC across [36 SC]

Finish off and weave in ends.

You can SC around the dishcloth for a neater edge but I liked the raw bumpy edge.

For more creative spaces click this link.

This is my own pattern please do not copy it, I don’t mind if you make these and sell them, but it would be nice if you reference this pattern.

Comments
  • Kirsty September 9, 2010 at 3:40 am

Perfect for practicing stitches. This one looks terrific.

• jessyz September 9, 2010 at 3:50 am

Thanks Kirsty, it is also really good at mopping up spilled milk which we have to deal with a lot.

• Fiona September 9, 2010 at 3:59 am

I’ll have to give that a try – I have some dishcloth cotton doing nothing in my stash and this looks like good practice.

• jessyz September 9, 2010 at 4:13 am

I am going through a dishcloth phase, and they really are great in the kitchen

• Pearlin J September 9, 2010 at 8:08 am

I am on a potholder kick lately.Will try out this pattern. Btw, did you find this thread here? Nice colour.

• jessyz September 14, 2010 at 12:19 am

It is from one of the shops across Barakat it is called Sawwad Soaad something like that, the thread itself is called Cinderella, they have it in a bunch of cool colors

• Ashley September 9, 2010 at 9:10 pm

hey, nice blog…really like it and added to bookmarks. keep up with good work

• jessyz September 14, 2010 at 12:20 am

• Annette September 10, 2010 at 1:10 am

I’ve been wanting to crochet up some dishcloths. My sister-in-law was the one to teach me to crochet and she recently bought a new house. These will be perfect! Thanks!

• jessyz September 14, 2010 at 12:20 am

That is great then, would love to see them once you’re done.

• CrochetN'Crafts September 10, 2010 at 4:25 pm

I love these kinds of dishcloths, mainly because they are such great natural scrubbers. This pattern looks great!

• jessyz September 14, 2010 at 12:21 am

It is also even better once it has been used and washed a couple of times

• Fruitful Fusion September 19, 2010 at 11:38 am

Do you get nice cotton like this easily in Egypt? I don’t usually find nice yarn here in Jeddah and end up getting stuff from the UK (on hols or from family). I wonder if I can get friends to bring me some back from Egypt 🙂

• jessyz September 19, 2010 at 11:47 am

You can, but I am in Kuwait now. I found this in Kuwait totally by chance actually and bought it just because it was cotton before I knew what to use it for. I don’t get it why don’t they have more cotton in these hot countries

• Jenny April 27, 2011 at 2:11 am

I introduced my paper-towel user sister to crocheted cotton dishcloths. Now she won’t stop asking me to make more! I have found the Tunisian slip stitch worked with an E hook is perfect as the material is strong and dense with a bumpy side that is great for scrubbing pots, pans, or even little bodies that insisted on jumping in muddy puddles on the way home from school.

• jessyz May 21, 2011 at 7:25 am

I have yet to try Tunisian crochet, I need new dishcloths so I might just give it a try

• […] crocheting a second. This time I used the Bumpy Not Lumpy pattern, which can be found for free here, and Sugar ‘n Cream yarn in “Faded Denim,” which is three shades of blue. I was […]

• […] time I’ve crocheted the “Bumpy Not Lumpy” pattern, which you can find for free on Chocolate Mints in a Jar. I started off by chaining 37 as per the pattern instructions, but after only a few rows I realized […]

• James Yellowhair July 7, 2012 at 8:19 am

Wonderful post however , I was wondering if you could write a litte more on this subject? I’d be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit further. Appreciate it!

• […] I gave up trying new patterns and went back to the Bumpy, Not Lumpy pattern that I’ve made a few times before. It’s easy to do and gives a nice fabric for […]

• Mittie August 26, 2014 at 4:35 pm

Wow, marvelous weblog structure! How long have you ever been running a blog
    for? you make blogging glance easy. The total look of your website is fantastic, as neatly as the content!

• Merrill September 6, 2014 at 3:54 pm

It’s remarkable in favor of me to have a web page, which is helpful
    designed for my know-how. thanks admin

• travel September 8, 2014 at 1:35 am

Hi I am so grateful I found your webpage, I really
    found you by error, while I was looking on Google for
    something else, Anyways I am here now and would just like to say thanks a lot for a tremendous post and a all round
    exciting blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time
    to browse it all at the moment but I have book-marked it
    and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read much more, Please
    do keep up the fantastic work.

• Perdana Ahmad February 18, 2017 at 8:05 am

Have you ever thought about publishing an ebook
    or guest authoring on other websites? I have a blog centered on the same information you discuss and would really like to have you share some stories/information.
    I know my visitors would appreciate your work.

If you’re even remotely interested, feel free
    to send me an e mail.