Seeds and Trees Baby Blanket {free pattern}

I love gifting baby blankets. They take longer than a cardigan and a hat, but they are satisfying to make. You might remember seeing me start this a couple of days ago. It was a rough start but once I settled on a stitch pattern I liked it was nice and easy. I used an acrylic yarn because babies leak and I want the mommy to just throw it in the washing machine. It is soft and textural. I love texture and the vertical stripes add enough visual interest to make it really pretty.

It is for a baby boy and I wanted it to look sophisticated and not scream baby so I went for a deep denimy blue. I hate the pale blues and pinks they use for baby stuff.

The seed stitch border is an alternative to the garter stitch but still makes sure that it doesn’t curl at the edges, which I just hate.

Do you want to make one?

The pattern is available for free, just click the link to get it, a chart is also included.

Seeds and Trees Baby Blanket (click this link or any of the images to get the pattern)

Seeds and trees baby blanket

Comments
  • Fiona January 22, 2012 at 11:51 am

That is a lovely pattern. I like the fact that you haven’t used a typical aster baby colour!

• Fiona January 22, 2012 at 11:51 am

Sorry – that should have read pastel!

• jessyz January 22, 2012 at 12:05 pm

I thought so :-). I don’t like pastels in general and I think babies need different colors. I really want to knit a rainbow one next, but a big big one, but I am terrified of the commitment timewise

• Mika January 24, 2012 at 5:16 am

This is exquisite!!! Thank you for the link.
    I loved receiving hand knit baby blankets when my girls were born – they still feel connected to them.

• jessyz January 28, 2012 at 9:02 pm

I got two blankets when my daughter was born one from my grandmother and one from my husband’s grandmother. One was crochet and the other was knit. I loved both but they were both white which I found a nightmare with a baby who leaked stuff.

• Fruitful Fusion January 31, 2012 at 7:19 pm

I LOVE the colour!!! I LOVE it SOOOOO much!!!! Lol!!!

• jessyz February 9, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Thank you thank I love the color too, someday I will make one for my bed

• Sue February 6, 2012 at 11:00 pm

I love the way this blanket looks, but I’m tearin’ my hair out trying to find the link to get to the pattern! Everything I click, doesn’t get me there! Any help??? I really want to take a crack at making this one!!! Thx so much!!!

• sharon February 15, 2012 at 12:49 am

can’t seem to find the pattern for seeds and trees baby blanket to use!

• Evelyn Meyer February 15, 2012 at 2:21 am

I can’t find the pattern for the seeds and trees pattern, I love it and would like the pattern. Hard to find.

• Fern Magnusson February 15, 2012 at 2:28 am

Looking forward totry this pattern

• Fern Magnusson February 15, 2012 at 2:28 am

Looking forward to try this pattern.

• P.J. Coldren February 15, 2012 at 5:25 am

What link???? I’d love to make this but can’t figure out how to get to the pattern. Thanks for any help you can give this 40+-years of knitting computer illiterate person.

• darlene February 15, 2012 at 6:09 am

I can’t seem to find the link for this pattern can you help me Thanks

• Joyce VanValkenburg February 15, 2012 at 7:09 am

Just above the last picture where it says “Seeds and
    Trees Baby Blanket”, click on that, it will turn red
    and the pattern will come up!!! Took me about 15 min.
    to find it!!!

• jessyz February 15, 2012 at 9:18 am

I am sorry you had trouble finding the pattern.
    You can use this link http://www.chocolatemintsinajar.com/craft/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Seeds-and-Trees-Baby-Blanket.pdf

• Priscilla Watson March 13, 2012 at 4:38 pm

I don’t know what weight of yarn that should be used. What is DK?

• jessyz March 13, 2012 at 4:57 pm

I used DK weight. You can use any weight you like but your blanket will be a different size.

• Nancy VanBuskirk March 26, 2012 at 10:49 am

I am making this blanket now with w 2 strands of Caron yarn (Woodland Heather and Denim Heather) using a size 13 circular and 89 sts. It is working up beautifully and is such a lovely pattern and easy to remember stitches for me. I am making it crib size so it can be used in many other ways also, as lap, stadium, car, etc. I have not worked with Caron acrylic before so hope it holds up. I am very thankful for the pattern as I had the yarn (inherited it) and wasn’t sure what to do with it. Then my daughter in law called with the baby news.

• Debbie Hale March 27, 2012 at 12:34 am

A lot of my yarn stash is Caron. You won’t be disappointed, I’ve been using it for years!

• Hester March 29, 2012 at 12:32 am

I am confused about this pattern as the math doesn’t seem to work out for me. I am not an experienced knitter so what am I missing here. Each end would have 5 K P’s = 10 stitches for a seeds. Multiples of 12 for pattern leaves 7 extra stitches and the way it’s written it seems like there should be a YO between the end K P when you do the repeat K P. is this making sense to anyone? I am calculating you should cast on 118 stitches. What am I doing wrong? I love the pattern and have the yarn. 113-10=103. Multiples of 12 x 9= 108 which equals 118.

• jessyz April 16, 2012 at 10:15 am

It is actually 12 stitches for 5 stitches of seed then 7 stitches of the lace bit, and the + 5 is for the last 5 stitches of seed at the end

so it is 9 ( repeats ) * 12 (stitches) = 108 + 5 (final seed)

• Fran April 6, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Unable to download pattern – Adobe states file is corrupt! Can you remedy this?
    Thanks, Fran

• Fran April 16, 2012 at 4:24 pm

jessyz,
    Thanks for quick response! Was able to download the pdf file.
    Thanks again,
    Fran

• Michele January 31, 2013 at 12:12 am

PDF link doesn’t work. Would really like to try this pattern. Please help:)

• Marylou Andersen March 12, 2013 at 1:32 pm

would love this pattern, but can’t bring it up. Please help

• Mary Hitchcock March 12, 2013 at 3:39 pm

I can’t bring up the file for the pattern. i would love to make this. can anyone help with the pattern. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

• Mary Hitchcock March 13, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Thank you, that worked great. I can’t wait to begin making it.

• Bargain March 24, 2013 at 11:51 pm

The new link isn’t working for me, either. Is it available as html anywhere?

• Ellen June 8, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Could you please share the yarn used in the crochet baby blanket? I love the color combo. Thanks!

• Patty Years June 8, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Thank you for the pattern. I have just finished this blanket in a deep rose color, dk acrylic, and it is beautiful. It will be offered for sale at our church Christmas bazaar in Nov.

• […] Seeds and Trees Baby Blanket […]