Big Dots Bag {Free Pattern}

Sometimes I am just compelled to make something. An idea pops into my head and I feel helpless against stopping myself. Not that I really ever want to stop myself from making something special.
I felt the need to make a bag on Saturday. I knew exactly what it should look like. It would be smallish, crochet, made up of squares and mostly blue. I had some fake leather handles that I knew I could use and so I got the yarn and started making it.
I was done last night so it is a fairly quick project.
24 squares all together and a gazillion ends to weave in.
I think the weaving in was the only boring part of this project.

A PDF file for this pattern is available at the end of the post.

The yarn:
I used DK weight yarn and a 4 mm hook. The yarn is a cotton acrylic blend, because cotton on its own tends to sag and lose its shape quickly. I also prefer cotton bags because the weather here is warm most of the year so this makes the bag more usable. You are of course welcome to use whatever yarn blend that makes your heart sing.
You might also choose to use a thicker or thinner yarn, just use a suitable hook for it.

Yardage

I used approximately 130 meters of the solid color and 200 meters of the multicolored yarn.

Abreviations

Terms used are all American.

CH chain

SC Single Crochet

DC Double crochet

HDC Half double crochet

To make the squares:
Round 1: Make a magic circle, chain 3 and DC 12 into it.
I will be ignoring the chain 3 and skip them when I slip into the first DC to close a round. I found that this worked better for the circles.
Slip stitch in the first DC to complete the round. [12 stitches]

Round 2: CH 3, DC 2 into each stitch. Slip stitch in the first DC to complete the round. [24 stitches]

Round 3: CH 3, DC 2 into  same stitch, DC 1 in next stitch, *DC 2 in next stitch, DC 1 in next stitch*. Slip stitch in the first DC to complete the round. [36 stitches.]

You should now have a circle made up of three rounds. If you are using the same color yarn for the frame then continue if not then cut off the yarn and join a new one in any stitch.

Round 4: Squaring the circle

CH 1, SC in same stitch, SC, HDC, HDC, DC 2 in next stitch, CH 2, *DC 2 in next stitch, HDC in next two stitches, SC in next 3 stitches, HDC in next two stitches, DC 2 in next stitch, CH 3* (repeat 3 times),  DC 2 in next stitch, HDC in next two stitches, SC in next stitch. Slip stitch into first SC to complete the round.

I like to finish all the circles, then all the frames, then weave in all the ends. What can I say, I like having a system. This works more like an assembly line and saves the time of stopping, putting down the hook, changing yarn, finding scissors and all that.

Now comes the fun part, joining the squares, the pink line is the fold line and the dark blue lines show you which side of which square joins where.

photo.PNG-3
I found this on My craft bay. Go on over and check it out, she has more images like this that show you how to join a bag or a garment.
You can use whichever method of joining that makes you comfortable.  I used a slip stitch with the wrong sides facing together because I wanted the join raised and obvious to give it an interesting textured look.  Obviously this is a matter of preference, so do whatever makes you happy.

Measurements

Each square messed 7.5 cm on the side, the handles measure 32 cm long from tip to tip.  The bag itself  is 29 cm at the widest point and 24 cm at its highest point.

I didn’t line my bag because I plan to use it mostly for quick errands or for holding my projects.

Finally sew on the handles and enjoy your bag.

Big Dots Bag Pattern Big Dots Bag

Comments
  • Siri L N Kudoor January 29, 2014 at 10:35 am

It is beautiful and easy to do. thanks.

• Denise &Bernard Craucamp January 29, 2014 at 4:31 pm

Very nice going to try it

• […] finishing the big dots bag I had some leftover yarn (a lot of it) and because my OCD makes it hard to accept yarn that has no […]

• AnnaD May 8, 2014 at 5:09 pm

Great idea! I started mine last night. I am doing teal dots with navy blue for the edging. I do not have handles in my stash right now so I will be crocheting those as well.

• Marti Owings May 8, 2014 at 10:54 pm

The squaring up round seems wrong to me. on last side of circle ending with “DC 2 in next stitch, HDC in next two stitches, SC in next stitch”, SL ST into first SC to complete……I ended up with 4 SC and not ONE. so I tried SC into 3 and then 4 SC and it seemed to work better……Am I missing something ???>

• minivelour May 21, 2014 at 10:44 pm

Hi, beautiful colored yarn!! Can you tell me what brand/color you used. I love it!

• lolaqurish May 29, 2014 at 3:57 am

Hi: beautiful and very nice

• Kristina June 20, 2014 at 1:39 am

Hi, thank You for mentioning my blog 🙂

Best of luck in your future projects!

• […] Big Dots Bag […]

• […] Big Dots Bag […]

• crochetmama January 8, 2015 at 1:08 am

LOVE THE BAG! BUT TELL US ABOUT THE HANDLES. WHAT SIZE, WHERE TO GET THEM, A LITTLE MORE INFO., THANKS

• jessyz January 8, 2015 at 10:26 pm

I got them from my local Daiso. I think they are about 30 cm long.

• June February 7, 2016 at 5:31 pm

Is a Diaso like a Hobby Lobby?

• Carol Winter February 28, 2015 at 12:23 pm

Please can someone help me the square row seems wrong like the other post said too many stitches left can someone tell me how to finish off please

• Carol Haigh April 24, 2016 at 4:29 am

So flustered with my ability to follow patterns! Help, please, with the squaring up row. I have extra stitches left …argh!! I love the bag and just want to see it come together. Thanks to anyone that can help me figure out why my last round isn’t squaring correctly.

• gracie elbaz March 19, 2015 at 8:13 am

i love it. i have so many old squares which i already made. and now i will use your wonderful idea to make this bag.thank you

• deedee-di April 23, 2015 at 4:00 pm

Please tell me what yarn you used – I absolutely love these colors!
    Thank you!

• minivelour April 24, 2015 at 3:06 pm

Thank you so, so, much!! Now let’s try to find it!

• Norma May 9, 2015 at 12:01 am

I think this is a beautiful project. I would like to do it but I don’t understand what “DC 2 into next stitch” means. Does it mean 2 DC into next stitch”? It has been a while since I did any crocheting.

• J'Marinde October 9, 2015 at 7:50 am

This is so pretty, however, I am overwhelmed and discouraged with patterns that do not give clear directions on exactly what materials were used (precise name, etc.) and where to find them. (“DK weight Sea glass ” is of no help and not to be found anywhere accessible online to my experience.) Please!

• Sue April 27, 2016 at 10:52 pm

This beautiful pattern of the bag will be my next project. Thanks for sharing

• Monica October 25, 2016 at 11:17 pm

Hi!!
    it’s very nice!! Thank you very much for the tutorial!!!
    This is my version’s bag >>> http://puntosdefantasia.es/blog/bolso-de-ganchillo-granny-square/

• J'Marinde October 26, 2016 at 5:37 am

DK weight Sea glass is list4d as a ool yarn and I am allergic to wool. can you give me guidance on a sub with the same color options and where to buy it? Thank you. (I too am discouraged and fed up with esoteric patterns with esoteric materials, etc. Please consider this seriously when putting out patterns.) Thanks

• crazycatlady5 March 10, 2017 at 11:34 pm

Hello, just seeing this for the first time and realizing it is knit and not crocheted! Nevertheless, I’ll try to duplicate it in crochet. I have a book from Leisure Arts called Learn to Crochet Circles into Squares, which should help me; I don’t know if there is a knitting equivalent but there might be. Also Craftsy has excellent, reasonably priced on-line classes which are available to the student forever, once purchased. As for a yarn recommendation not wool, I think this would be lovely in Bamboo Pop by Universal Yarns, which is a 3 weight. It is a very smooth yarn to work with and the colors include both solids and self-striping.

• crazycatlady5 March 10, 2017 at 11:38 pm

OK, definitely more coffee needed today! This IS crocheted. But my recommendations still stand.

• bitcoin online February 13, 2017 at 11:42 pm

Good info. Lucky me I ran across your website by chance
    (stumbleupon). I’ve book marked it for later!

• Pallavi suryawanshi February 27, 2017 at 12:10 pm

Frankly I don’t know how it is make. But I want to be learn.
    Actually can I purchase this pattern from you? Either it is not possible so where I go for this??
    Thank u..