Easy Peasy Circle Shrug Or Scarf Or Wrap

Circles Shrug ToddlerI mean really really easy.

All you need to do is crochet a rectangle then slip stitch the edges together to make sleeves.

Is there anything easier than that?

You can do this with any weight yarn and any size hook.

I made one for myself and one for my daughter.

Hers was done in a worsted weight yarn and took a couple of hours.

Mine was done in a fingering weight yarn and took ages, mainly because I kept stopping and doing other things in the middle.

You need to measure the length you would like the shrug to be.  Both of the ones I made were short sleeve ones.

Start chaining, your chain should be a multiple of 5 + 2.  For my shrug the starting chain was 192 and for Lulu’s it was 62.

Row 1: Turn and SC in the second chain from the hook, SC across till the end of the chain.

Row 2:Turn and do a no turning chain dc (the link takes you to a youtube video explaining how to) you can also do a 3 chain if you prefer. 2DC in the same stitch, *Skip 4 stitches, In the same stitch 2 DC, Ch 1, 2 DC* Repeat until you get to the last 5 SCs, Skip 4 and then 3DC in the last stitch.

Row 3:Turn do a no turning chain dc, 2 dc in the same stitch,  skip all the DCs and work (2DC, CH1, 2DC)  CH 1 space only until you get to the last cluster which is 3DCs.  Work 3 DCs in the very last DC.

Row 4:Turn do a no turning chain, 2 DC in same stitch, *CH2, SC in the space between the DCs in Row 2, CH2 . (2DC, CH1, 2DC ) in the next chain space. CH2, and SC in the space between the next DC clusters in row 2*.  Repeat until the last 3DC cluster and DC3 in the last DC.

Repeat rows 2 – 4 until the shrug is as high as you want it.

Turn your work and  SC in same stitch,* CH 4, SC in CH1 space* Repeat until you SC in the very last dc.

Turn and SC in each SC and 4 SC in the CH4 spaces till the end.

Now fold the rectangle over and either sew the edges or slip stitch together to form the shrug.

Wear it and feel pretty good about yourself or make a mini one for the mini you in the house.

Larger Shrug

Stitch Close Up

Crochet Chart for the Circles

Comments
  • Fruitful Fusion November 2, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Oh my goodness! Are you reading my mind or what! I went to a wedding and saw so many shivering shoulders that I’ve been planning (on paper) to make exactly this kind of shrug for those COLD wedding halls! Great minds think alike? 🙂

• jessyz November 2, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Heheheehe, yes and aren’t we just awesome awesome minds?
      I had originally planned to make it much longer and add buttons so it could be a convertible wrap/shrug kind of things.
      But the yarn didn’t have the right drape for it to work as a shawl so I thought this would be better.

• sameha November 2, 2010 at 2:05 pm

To7fa 🙂 Masha Allah

• jessyz November 6, 2010 at 8:03 am

• ramya November 5, 2010 at 12:54 pm

hi jessy

love the pattern . have some sparkly dk which would be perfect fro my lil girl. if i wanteda longer sleved version, should i have alonger starting chain/ will that be ok/ pl slet me know.

thanks
    ramya

• jessyz November 6, 2010 at 8:11 am

Hi Ramya.
      Have your little girl stand and spread her arms out or you could measure on a sweater or cardi. Measure the length that you would like the shrug to be and start chaining until the chain gets to the right length unstretched. Count and make sure it is a multiple of 5 and then add two extra chains.

• ramya November 16, 2010 at 7:58 pm

hi again jessy

hope you are well. have atrted the shrug today and am confused with row 4. i looked at the diagram. and it shows in row 4 that dcs are to be made.
    but according to the pattern, its just scs in the 4th row.

can you please clarify/

ramya

• jessyz November 20, 2010 at 8:24 am

You should read it from the bottom to the top, the first row is SCs, does that make it clearer?

• […] free pattern is available here complete with schematics! You may also […]

• Essie Munro November 19, 2010 at 1:25 pm

What a cute pattern. Thank you for your generosity in sharing it with us. I crochet and knit for charities and this will be adorable for little girls.

• jessyz November 20, 2010 at 8:23 am

Thank you. That’s such an awesome thing to be making them for charity, and these can fit so many sizes too. Best of luck!

• Jules December 13, 2010 at 7:53 pm

So lovely, I’m making one for my daughter and her bestie x thanks!!!

• jessyz January 9, 2011 at 7:34 am

Awesome! Would love to see those FOs

• esme January 30, 2011 at 4:10 am

Row #4 directions refer to Row#2 instead of 3 which is making me thoroughly confused: “SC in the space between the DCs in Row 2” 🙁 I am a beginner so I can’t quite figure this out.

• esme January 30, 2011 at 4:14 am

…and what do the asterisks refer to?

• Terra March 10, 2011 at 2:51 am

I am a beginner crocheter so I don’t know what I am doing wrong. However, I am not getting a rectangle??

In Row 4: ….SC in the space between the next DC clusters in row 2….Is this a typo? Do you mean row 3?

• jessyz March 10, 2011 at 7:25 am

No it is not a typo, you insert your hook under the stitch in row 2 to catch both rows and give it a circular look

• barbjames4471 June 6, 2015 at 11:31 am

well I didn’t quite get row 4 I just grabbed up the stitches from row 4.. and crocheted them over row 3. lol. I know now its a mistake but it looks OK and besides I am not going back to the original row 4 to correct it. I am glad it looks great even with the mistake. next one I will get right. it is beautiful thanks for sharing the pattern.

• barbjames4471 June 6, 2015 at 11:33 am

I meant grabbed the stitches from row 2. lol sorry about that

• denise June 1, 2011 at 4:19 am

i hope i am not too late to ask a question for i see march was the last time anyone did!! thanks for the free directions jessyz! my question is: when you repeat row 2 and your suppose to skip 4 stiches then 2dc ch 1 2 dc….am i includeing the 3 extra stitches that were added on in row 4?? (the– ch 2 and the sc) when i do this its very hard to get hook into the chain stitch and it make the “flow” of the stitches crooked!! they do not look neat and orderly like your piece does!! any help will be appricated!! or if i need to discribe it better please let me know!! thanks a bunch!! :^)

• jessyz June 1, 2011 at 2:04 pm

In row two you should
      Turn and do a no turning chain dc or 3 chain if you prefer. 2DC in the same stitch

The 4 stitches you are skipping are the 4 DCs, so you will work the (2DC, CH1, 2DC) in the next chainspace not the chain itself.

I hope that helps

• denise June 1, 2011 at 2:19 pm

thanks for the quick reply! but…….i am still stuck (or dumb!!) i HAVE finished rows 1 thru 4 with no problem but now that i have to repeat rows 2–4 in row 2 its says “skip 4 stitches” does that mean i include the 2chain stitches and the sc from the previous row or do i only count the dc?? i have a funny feeling i am just making this harder on myself!! sorry!

• Natt June 7, 2011 at 5:46 am

Lllloooovvvveeee iiiiitttt!!!!

I’m going straight to my stash to find some yarn and start crocheting right away!!

Thanx

• jessyz June 8, 2011 at 11:02 am

Have fun crocheting

• Warm back and shoulders June 17, 2011 at 12:23 pm

[…] course the other girl wanted a shoulderette too. Although it is just a rectangular piece of crochetwork, with fairly thick (100%) wool and […]

• Carol August 1, 2011 at 5:46 pm

What size hook did you use?
    That will help.

• jessyz August 1, 2011 at 9:14 pm

4 mm for the worsted weight and 3 mm for sport weight

• Levy August 1, 2011 at 7:32 pm

In the easy-peasy shrug-What size needles did you use?
    Thank you!

• jessyz August 1, 2011 at 9:15 pm

4 mm for the worsted weight and 3 mm for sport weight
      Basically you can use the recommended hook size for the yarn.

• Cristy Givens August 6, 2011 at 8:53 pm

I have a quick question on row 4. It says chain 2, then SC in the space between DC in row 2. In the diagram it looks like after the SC you chain 2 again, but it is not mentioned in the directions. Which way am I supposed to do it? Thanks

• jessyz August 10, 2011 at 10:07 pm

yes you are write, I corrected row 4 and added the asterisks to show what you should be repeating

• Mali September 13, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Thanx so much! It turned out great! Also your other
    Patterns were useful to! I wore this shawl to my mom’s surprise party! I got so many compliments!! Love it!

• jessyz September 21, 2011 at 11:20 am

that is wonderful, I always feel really happy when people find my patterns useful

• SweetNYer October 24, 2011 at 10:51 pm

I am stuck on row three. Skip all work and ch 1 sp only? What am I to do?

• jessyz October 25, 2011 at 8:06 am

It means you should do 2 DC, CH 1, 2 DC in the chain one spaces only and not in the stitches of the previous row

• swakmommy October 29, 2011 at 12:18 am

Do you have a picture of what it looks like from the front while wearing it?? I’ve started working up the pattern for my daughters but am very curious of what the front looks like. Also…. you must be super fast at chrocheting! I can work on it for an hour and only have a row or two done 🙂 You’d think I’d be faster since I’ve been at this for over 10 years but I’m trying to make the stitches nice and tight so the holes are smaller and the shrug will be warmer. Doesn’t help that I get interuppted all the time by my kids.

• jessyz December 7, 2011 at 10:39 am

Sadly I don’t and she has grown out of hers. I used worsted weight so it was a fast project and when I am under a deadline I tend to work faster (years of practicing procrastination does that to you)

• aggieh October 31, 2011 at 4:58 am

can mail me how to do it please?

• JourneyBeyondSurvival November 22, 2011 at 1:57 am

Thank you for posting this, I’ve been searching all over and this is beautiful, simple and quick looking. Thanks for sharing!

• jessyz December 7, 2011 at 10:36 am

Thank you, hope you have fun making it

• amira February 21, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Mash’allah really nice. I’m also going to try this one. I’m a beginner do you think it would be possible for me to do it?

• jessyz February 23, 2012 at 9:56 am

Oh definitely just take it slowly and try a swatch first so you can try it out and practice on it first.

• Jenna April 12, 2012 at 7:06 pm

If I am making this in a 2x size, should I use a larger needle? Then would the larger hook make the diamond holes in the finished product larger?

I’m about to try it now; I’ve only been crocheting for a few months now, so hopefully it won’t take me too long. I want to wear it in 3 days :P.

• jessyz April 16, 2012 at 10:16 am

Yes you could do that, you could also use thicker yarn and a bigger hook. Experiment until you find a look and drape of fabric that you like

• Jenna April 16, 2012 at 5:54 pm

I did that, and it looks great! Finished it Saturday and got to wear it out on my fancy date 😛

• jessyz April 16, 2012 at 7:23 pm

that is awesome! I hope you had fun on that date too

• Holly May 1, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Hi, I tried making this for my size, a 10 and it was fine, but how do you make it for bigger sizes?Do you have to lengthen the arm area, because I have a feeling that if you make it longer in length, then the shrug will be longer on the back. So i’m worried if won’t work out properly for a size 14-16 person. Thank you!

• jessyz May 11, 2012 at 10:02 am

Yes just measure how long you want it, for example from wrist to wrist and chain for that length and work more rows

• Jennifer June 9, 2012 at 5:59 am

I am truly uncertain about Row 4. Are there 2 SC next to each other? The pattern is reading NTDC & 2DC, Ch2, SC in space, Ch2, DC2-Ch1-DC2, Ch2, SC in space. When the star-to-star loops around, there is a Ch 2, SC, Ch 2, SC, Ch2 that prevents the pattern from looking looking even across Row four. What am I doing wrong?

Adorable shrug! I would love to make one!

• Brenda July 10, 2012 at 3:46 am

I have made about 6 of these for my granddaughters and they love them! So easy!

• lamya August 14, 2012 at 5:11 am

Amazing, i ve been surfing the net for a bolero for my 3.5 yrs old daughter and couldn`t find anything that i really liked and could be finished before the feast, will try to crochet it isA and tell you how it turned out, thanks loadzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :))

• Darllene December 10, 2012 at 12:32 am

Call me simple minded, but I could not figure out how to sew this shrug together. My pattern did not come with the picture. Thank you soooo much! :O)

• Ashley March 10, 2014 at 10:58 pm

Working on this now, and shouldn’t row 4 read:

CH2, SC in the space between the DCs in Row 2, * CH2 . (2DC, CH1, 2DC ) in the next chain space. CH2, and SC in the space between the next DC clusters in row 2*

instead of the asterisks at the beginning? Because otherwise there are two chains, then SC, then two more chains, then SC, then the cluster, which makes it look wonky? Mine is coming out much more like yours if I just repeat the 2 ch and 1 sc once after each cluster. But if that’s wrong, please let me know. Thank you!

• majo August 28, 2014 at 2:48 am

thanks for the pattern.. i am currently working on this too… i am a newbie in crocheting.. will make one for my daughter as well..

• Rebekah January 24, 2015 at 3:59 am

So beautiful!!

• jessyz January 24, 2015 at 7:16 am

Thank uou.

• Shari Remington April 4, 2015 at 7:56 pm

Having know luck with this pattern…. torn apart twice.

• Chrissy June 1, 2015 at 4:15 am

I made 4 of these in cancer awareness colors for some of my fellow cancer friends to keep warm during chemo and they love them!!! Thank you so much for this paytern!!

• Clara June 13, 2015 at 3:40 pm

I do love this pattern! Manu thanks for sharing!

• Pamela July 15, 2015 at 3:04 am

I am having a problem with Row 4 instructions. I don’t understand how to skip over Row 3. “*CH2, SC in the space between the DCs in Row 2, CH2”. I don’t get how to get to Row 2 from here. Do I skip over Row 3?

• But one of thе trends in Ѕan Ϝrancisco nowadays is the Sρeed Ɗating.
    When iit comes to accessօries like thiѕ, tthe old advice “you get what you pay for”
    applies. Personal bankruptcy should be a last rеѕοrt
    in debt management and debt consolidation.

• Linda October 15, 2015 at 4:05 am

Aren’t you really initially measuring for the width of the shrug?

• Nicole January 12, 2016 at 8:35 am

So excited for this project! My mom bought me lime green metallic yarn to use for this. I’m using a bigger hook and anxious to see how it’ll turn out. It makes up really fast! I’m going to wear it with a purple dress for a wedding my family is attending in China. Squeeeee!!!

• marisa April 10, 2016 at 9:57 pm

I am so happy to see this pattern, I have been searching for knitting ballet wrap around sweaters and shrugs patterns and have not been able to get a free pattern yet.
      If you have any help for me feel free to send it to mabariorenn@gmail.com
      Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

• jacks blow job lessons June 2, 2016 at 1:41 am

Tattoos were covered up, Rosacea, birth marks – it seemed to be able to do a fantastic job at covering
    without actually looking like makeup. Don’t worry about them; just talk to your pharmacist or doctor if you are not already using some creams.
    Natural remedies do not create any side effects or rashes, which might aggravate your
    skin condition.

• Nicky October 1, 2016 at 5:25 pm

thank you so very much for sharing yay! i can do that <333

• HollyW February 19, 2017 at 11:06 am

Oh my gosh! This looks super cute with variegated yarn! I’m making one for my LO and making some matching legwarmers!

• Sudhanshu ji September 5, 2017 at 6:30 am

Quite right! It is good idea. It is ready to support you.