Sploshy Washcloth {Free Pattern}

Sploshy WashclothsBefore I learned crocheting or knitting I couldn’t understand why someone would want to use pretty hand crocheted or hand knit washcloths or dishcloths.  It didn’t make any sense.  I could just buy a much cheaper version from the store and I wouldn’t feel sad when they got dirty or fell apart.

That was of course until I crocheted my own and then knit my own.

First of all knitting or crocheting them is a great way for beginners to learn new stitches and improve their skills without worrying about ruining expensive yarn and they are quick to finish and don’t use up a lot of yarn.

I like my dishcloths on the smallish side and I like them textured too.  It is also best to use 100% cotton because it is really absorbent and hey that is what washcloths need to do right?

The yarn I used is mystery cotton but I am guessing it is light worsted or DK weight.

Materials

2 stitch markers

Tapestry needles

Size 6 (4mm) needles

A skein of worsted weight ( my 50gm ball made two washcloths and I still had leftover yarn)

Pattern

Cast on 35 stitches

Row 1 – 8 : Knit

Place stitch markers after the 4th stitch and before the last 4 stitches to mark the garter border.
For all rows knit to the first stitch marker and continue with pattern below, and then knit from the second stitch to the end.

Row 9: Knit

Row 10: *K1,P1*, K1

Row 11: Knit

Row 12: *P1, K1*, P1

Repeat rows 9 – 12, 9 more times

Repeat rows 1 – 8 once.

Bind off and weave in any ends.

That’s it.

Of course you could make a cup of coffee and cast on another one.

IMG_9285

Comments
  • Handmade Artists' March 28, 2012 at 4:22 am

That green is just to die for, great piece and lovely pattern. Thanks for sharing!

• jessyz April 19, 2012 at 10:06 am

Yes and I have had it for quite some time and couldn’t decide what to do with it. I am glad you like it.

• Ann March 28, 2012 at 6:58 am

This is a great washcloth. Starting this today. Thanks

• jessyz April 19, 2012 at 10:28 am

You are welcome

• Janie April 1, 2012 at 7:24 am

Thanks for the great pattern – found it on Knitting Pattern Central about 3 hrs. ago and have already made one! I like that it’s easy to make larger or smaller. It’s a wonderful dishcloth, thanks again.

• jessyz April 19, 2012 at 10:28 am

Thanks, and I love how quick they are to knit.

• pam G April 13, 2012 at 5:26 am

Thanks.

• LindaW April 13, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Cannot wait to utilize this pattern into a knitted scarf pattern!!!!

• jessyz April 19, 2012 at 10:32 am

Awesome idea.

• Vivian April 13, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Love the pattern, but if u cast on an even # of stitches (34 or 36), then rows 10 & 12 both always start with a knit stitch. Makes it really easy to keep track of (I like this kind of a project to be “brainless” so to speak!)

• jessyz April 19, 2012 at 10:33 am

I guess you have a point, I will add a note to the pattern, thanks

• Kristen S. March 22, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Only problem with this is that it leaves the garter border 5 stitches wide on one side, but 4 stitches wide on the other. I didn’t notice this until I was halfway through (what can I say, I have ADHD) so this one will be just for practice. Will tweak it next time so the border is the same all around.

• sandra hochadel April 13, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Looks like lots of knitting fun.

• jessyz April 19, 2012 at 10:35 am

Yes it is.

• Katie April 13, 2012 at 4:59 pm

If you knit every other row (the odd rows after you start the pattern) rather than purling them, it will be easier to see the pattern and you won’t get mixed up as to how to start the even/pattern rows, with K or P.

• jessyz April 19, 2012 at 10:37 am

I am confused, they are supposed to be knit

• Hedda April 13, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Thanks for sharing I love the stitch, can’t wait to try this patteren.

• Maureen Martinek April 13, 2012 at 11:38 pm

Jessyzz,
    Thank you so much for sharing patterns. I think it is extremely generous and I appreciate it much.

I really like your website and think it’s great that you use an interesting font instead of a font that everyone else seems to use in their blog.

You are such a talented person. I am envious of all the energy, talent and projects you have made or are working on.

Thanks so much for the blog.

• jessyz April 19, 2012 at 10:39 am

Thank you for your lovely comment, it is always nice to feel appreciated. I enjoy sharing because after all I learned most of what I know from other bloggers and crafters who shared their knowledge.

• Anne April 19, 2012 at 6:16 am

I just whipped out 4 of these – great pattern! makes a lovely textured cloth! Thanks for sharing…

• jessyz April 19, 2012 at 10:40 am

Awesome!

• christine April 27, 2012 at 10:07 am

I am a bit confused. I started a cloth and marked it as per instructions but why? When I follow the pattern I see that I am not getting a border at the sides. Do I add one at the end. I am comparing my cloth to the finished one in the picture. I am very new at this so I can’t figure it out as to why mine is a bit different.

• Corrina May 6, 2012 at 2:36 am

I don’t get it either. Maybe we are missing something but like you say I don’t understand as the pattern seems different then the pciture.

• jessyz May 11, 2012 at 10:00 am

My bad, you are supposed to knit to the first stitch marker and after the second one on all rows

• Pauline A Stevens June 2, 2012 at 7:59 am

Nice cloth! Great color, I too love that shade of green it’s easy on the eyes, wish I had some!

• Mary H. June 23, 2012 at 12:48 am

I am not sure i am understanding, am i putting the stitch markers in row 8?? Also, how would i go about making this bigger for a dishcloth?? I appreciate your help

• Kimberly July 5, 2012 at 7:06 pm

I may be ignorant, but what are the * for? Do I only repeat those two stitches? Thanks

• Myra July 21, 2012 at 4:38 am

Do you knit 9 rows and then add the stitch markers and work the pattern? I am a little confused.

• Reusable Knitted Washcloths | GetGreen 365 November 15, 2012 at 4:57 pm

[...] Chocolate Mints In A Jar to read the post. The author even provides a free knitting pattern! The mint colored washcloth is [...]

• Pat December 26, 2012 at 6:32 pm

I perfer cotton for my dishcloths

• Donna O. February 2, 2013 at 10:01 pm

This is called a washcloth and I am wondering what kind of cotton you would use that is soft for a washcloth – not a DISHCLOTH!! I have tried several; I DON’T like Peaches and Cream or Sugar and Cream for washcloths; just dishcloths!
    I am using currently I LOVE COTTON yarn and it seems alot softer for a washcloth! Any ideas!??

• jessyz February 2, 2013 at 10:14 pm

You are absolutely correct this is a washcloth. The cotton is by DMC India I think. And it is super soft and just keeps getting softer. It is quite similar to knitpicks Pima cotton. I hope that helps.

• Donna O. February 4, 2013 at 4:46 am

Thank you very much, I guess I can order the yarn from the USA or who carries it? I will gogle the name and find out!

• Sandra J February 17, 2013 at 5:19 am

Just found this washcloth. Looks Sooooo simple thank you for another great pattern

• jessyz February 19, 2013 at 8:05 am

Thanks, glad you liked it.

• Barbara Szopinski March 3, 2013 at 6:45 am

Have just started knitting after about 40 years, looking for free easy dishcloth patterns does anyone have any I could do……..

• bonnie March 17, 2013 at 9:31 pm

christine

please answer so I know too.

• jessyz March 18, 2013 at 11:47 am

You are supposed the add 4 stitches of garter before and after the stitch pattern

• Dian March 20, 2013 at 9:53 pm

Great pattern….love love it….I was so happy to find a different looking washcloth….thanks…..

• Kristen S. March 22, 2013 at 10:03 pm

Also, the “wrong” side has a different, but still pretty, pattern. Post pictures of that, too!

• Linda W. March 24, 2013 at 10:37 pm

Can you make a baby blanket from this pattern? Would you give me the needle size and the amount of stitches I need to make this one from? I’d like it to be about 30 inches square. Thank you so much for the free pattern!!!

• hilda March 25, 2013 at 8:54 pm

So, does the pattern as shown above include the corrections you note in the comments? Not sure …

• Charli G May 29, 2013 at 2:52 pm

I like this pattern and am going to make a few of these this morning! It seems similar to “Grandma’s favorite dishcloth,” without that diagonal shape. Thank you so much for sharing. Like your site.

• [...] to get back into the rythm, then I’ll get started on some actual patterns. I like the look of this one and this one and this [...]

• Linda June 6, 2013 at 6:48 am

Wow I tried to knit a dish cloth before not very good I am new to knitting I will give this lovely one a go thanks

• [...] pattern came from another blog (Chocolate Mints in a Jar). The only variation I made is I used a #7 needle instead of the #6 she recommends.  I must say it [...]

• sarah davidson July 6, 2013 at 5:35 pm

Row 11: Knit

• sarah davidson July 6, 2013 at 5:46 pm

They started a knitting class at the YWCA of Youngstown and it was aHIT. Then me and my big mouth said we should make these for Christmas present well I did not know that I was the one to make all of them.I have made 23 to date there are 30 low income people living here. I am so glad I found this site.Wish me luck.

• snake veins leather top handle bag September 17, 2014 at 9:40 am

If some one desires expert view concerning blogging
    after that i propose him/her to pay a quick visit this blog, Keeep
    upp the good job.

• Www.Flyingglasselevator.com September 24, 2014 at 11:43 pm

Hello, i feel that i noticed you visited my web site
    thus i got here to return the desire?.I am attempting to to find
    things to enhance my website!I guess its ok to make
    use of a few of your ideas!!

• gps карти October 6, 2014 at 5:52 am

It’s actually a nice and helpful piece of info. I am satisfied that you simply shared this useful info
    with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.